Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 38super or 9mm

blue edge

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 Super.  From a single stack gun, the 38 super feeds better in my experience.  I have gotten 9mm to feed in a single stack gun, but I have had to try several different magazines to get it reliable.  38 Super (or variants:  38 SuperComp, 9x23) all feed well with a variety of 38 Super magazines.  Double stacks seem to feed  9mm better from their magazines, also.

“Let’s say ammo cost is the same” —in that universe I’d go with the 38 all day long but in the real world where the cost is different I would say it depends on what you’re planning on doing with it. The fact that you mentioned minor leads me to believe this is for competition and with that, and the typical higher volume of shooting, cost may factor in. I agree that the 38 will probably run more reliably and with less tinkering but 9mm 1911’s can and do work if setup properly and with the right mags/OAL.

I agree that 38 Super is a sexier cartridge.  If I got my brass for free I'd shoot SC.  Some of the myths above simply are not true.   It is child's play to tune a 1911 ejector to reliably eject 9mm brass.  I will admit it is trickier if you use a frame mount and a Slideride for optics.  Getting it to feed is easy.  You do not have to load long for reliable feeding.  I have several friends who routinely shoot 1911 9mms and they have zero problems.  I RO a lot of USPSA matches so I see a lot of 9mm Open and SS shooters, none of whom has any problems during the match.

9mm jacketed or JHP bullets cost way less than .356" bullets in bulk, and the selection is many times larger.  So as much as I admire the 38 Super/SC, if I'm going to compete, I want cartridges where I don't mind leaving the brass on the ground.  That is not the case with 38S and 45ACP.

I have a couple 9mm 1911s  that run 100% . The thing is you just do not see a lot 38super 1911s . I figured cost of ammo  scared most off.  I just have not

seen a lot of them. I asked the Pro"s and they are telling me 38 super. Its not about how good they are,its how bad they are not

8 minutes ago, blue edge said:

I have a couple 9mm 1911s  that run 100% . The thing is you just do not see a lot 38super 1911s . I figured cost of ammo  scared most off.  I just have not

seen a lot of them. I asked the Pro"s and they are telling me 38 super. Its not about how good they are,its how bad they are not

Well said.......how bad they aren't!!

Just to clarify, are you talking about super or supercomp?

15 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Since you thinking 1911 minor why not think 40 minor also to throw into the mix. Tripp have 10 round 40 mags and you have a pretty large selection of bullet weights from 135-220 grain. Just saying there are more choices than 9mm, 38 super/super comp. Thanks, Eric

This is the best part Its not a need its a want

If you are shooting minor what is the point of shooting 38SC?  Don't get me wrong, I love my 38 SC "major" guns,  but the bigger case allows room for more powder for Major?  I have my Daughter shooting Minor, (nice STI steel master )  With her there was never a consideration to use 38SC, 9mm all the way

Once I get my SVI Limited gun I was thinking about starting a SS SVI.

Are there a lot of options for 38sc mags?  I would probably get one gun with 9mm,38sc and 40 barrel to cover all the bases. And use the 38sc for matches only.  I’ve collected 16lbs so far from the big matches at my home range.  Was planning on trading 38sc for 40’s but I got 7k of those so I’ve been hoarding it.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending upon how you set up your extractor and ejector, .38 Super and Super Comp will run the same, at least they do in my gun.  Unloading mags is a bit harder with Super than SC, but that's the only discernable difference I've run across.

5 minutes ago, gino_aki said:

Depending upon how you set up your extractor and ejector, .38 Super and Super Comp will run the same, at least they do in my gun.  Unloading mags is a bit harder with Super than SC, but that's the only discernable difference I've run across.

do you use aftec extractor

• 2 weeks later...