Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

I am using 124 gr Acme with 3.1 g TG.  Out is a 14.5” QC10 barrel and upper.  When shooting indoor the smoke and gas is pretty bad.  

What can can I change to make this less smoke and gas?  

My idea deal is to try Sport Pistol or VN320.  Maybe try Egglestone 124 gr bullets.  Their coating seems harder.  Or should I give up on coated bullets for a 14.5” barrel?  Is there any coated bullet that can be shoot out of a 14.5” PCC?  

One of the guys I shoot with used to shoot coated bullets in his PCC but gave up on them and now shoots jacketed in PCC. 

Another guy is shooting Blue Bullets in his Open gun and works well for him and you can’t tell he is shooting coated since there’s little smoke (shooting major pf tho).

Try the blue ones. Their coating feels way different than the other brands. 

Part of your problem is titegroup, it burns hot and it’s smoky 

for pcc I’m running blue bullets115 with w231 and I don’t notice any smoke, I also run the same  bullet in my open gun and I do notice it does smoke compared to jhp, but not much

I'm using 3.2gr of Titegroup with Blue Bullets and, while I do have some noticeable smoke coming from the comp when I watch myself in videos, there doesn't seem to be a lot of it.  I don't shoot indoors, so perhaps it would be more noticeable there.

I do plan to switch to jacketed, but that's mainly because I am getting some lead buildup in the comp.  I get a lot less since I lowered my powder charge from 3.6gr (my pistol load), but I still have to scrape it out every so often.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, rishii said:

Part of your problem is titegroup, it burns hot and it’s smoky 

for pcc I’m running blue bullets115 with w231 and I don’t notice any smoke, I also run the same  bullet in my open gun and I do notice it does smoke compared to jhp, but not much

I use Win 231 with Acme and Ibejiheads 124 gr bullets and don't have excessive smoke, so TG could be the culprit.

• 3 months later...

Another vote for Sport Pistol, I'm shooting that now exclusively over n320. Also lube can contribute to smokiness, if you are going heavy or making home brew, try a test batch with very minimal lube and then wipe them down before shooting to compare on smoke if that was part of your issue.