Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest riding holster for Prod/Ltd

p7fl

Ex-Brother in Law (dumped the wife, kept the BIL and nephew) had shoulder surgery and cannot lift his shoulder above a certain level. Recently got him into USPSA. Mostly shooting Ltd Minor. Running a Glock 17 and needs a decent holster that sits low so he does not have to lift his shoulder too much on the draw stroke.

I suggested he goes with his Glock 19, but he is a big guy with big hands and the 17 fits him much better.

He shoulders can get thru a USPSA match but a Steel match is painful.

Any specific suggestions?

TIA

jon

Ex-Brother in Law (dumped the wife, kept the BIL and nephew) had shoulder surgery and cannot lift his shoulder above a certain level. Recently got him into USPSA. Mostly shooting Ltd Minor. Running a Glock 17 and needs a decent holster that sits low so he does not have to lift his shoulder too much on the draw stroke.  

I suggested he goes with his Glock 19, but he is a big guy with big hands and the 17 fits him much better.

He shoulders can get thru a USPSA match but a Steel match is painful.

Any specific suggestions?

TIA

jon

red hill tactical with Springer Precision hanger can go very low. in production, heel of butt of gun must touch top of belt. in limited he can go pretty low 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Production limits the position of the holster to behind the hip point, and no "race " holsters.   Any decent kydex holster on a drop/offset hanger is about as good as it 

gets.  

Limited is a whole different thing.  A good race holster like a Double Alpha or several others, set up with a muzzle forward cant and  located on the 

belt forward of the hip point requires near zero shoulder lift to draw.   

9 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

red hill tactical with Springer Precision hanger can go very low. in production, heel of butt of gun must touch top of belt. in limited he can go pretty low 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No other division can be lower than that either. They can be moved forward but not lower

23 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If he's shooting Limited, buy any Open holster - you can get them down very

low and you don't have to raise your arm to draw - you come up a half inch

and push the gun forward.    :) 

For Production, you're stuck - another great advantage to OPEN.     :) 

Production guns can be just as low as Open guns. SS Guns have to be much higher though. But I agree it’s easier to clear a race holster without lifting so high.

Edited by Sarge

5.2.9  Competitors deemed by the Range Master to be significantly disabled 
may be given special dispensation in relation to the type and/or place-
ment of their holster and related equipment, and the Range Master will 
remain the final authority in respect of the safety and suitability of using 
such equipment at USPSA matches. 

9 hours ago, waktasz said:

5.2.9  Competitors deemed by the Range Master to be significantly disabled 
may be given special dispensation in relation to the type and/or place-
ment of their holster and related equipment, and the Range Master will 
remain the final authority in respect of the safety and suitability of using 
such equipment at USPSA matches. 

While I see what you’re getting at I don’t think a bad shoulder would qualify as a significant disability. 

16 hours ago, waktasz said:

Well that's up to the Range Master, isn't it?

It is, but there is a shooter in our area missing most of his hand from birth who gets no special consideration that I’m aware of

Edited by Sarge

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It is, but there is a shooter in our area missing most of his hand from birth who gets no special consideration that I’m aware of

While it is up to the RM as said, if the competitor never asks for special dispensation, one would never know. 

35 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

While it is up to the RM as said, if the competitor never asks for special dispensation, one would never know. 

But if a bad shoulder gets consideration where would it stop? Bad back? Bad knees? 

Just now, Sarge said:

But if a bad shoulder gets consideration where would it stop? Bad back? Bad knees? 

Who knows? Like was said, it is at the discretion of the RM. I would guess that it would depend on how sympathetic the RM was. The way I see it, someone with a disability, however slight, is probably at a disadvantage anyway....which means they probably won't win their division or class. 

Of course, it could be abused by those who are unethical, by claiming a disability when they have none, but wouldn't that be obvious during the match? And then, wouldn't an unsportsmanlike DQ be applicable?

Personally, I think that if a shooter can show that they have difficulty doing something, they should get that dispensation. As an example,  I hate seeing an older shooter (with a back, knee, elbow, or hip problem) have to go prone because the WSB says you have to, then watching them struggle to get back up. Sure this is a sport, but isn't a sport supposed to be fun? Are they going to win if they don't go prone? Probably not. Are they going to have more fun if they don't go prone? Probably so. Going prone is just an example, there are many other instances that could also have applied. 

My .02...

Grumpy:

OP here, I have to disagree with you. ALL sports are inherently unfair. I have never had any eye hand co-ordination. It takes me a half day to line up a shot and then tell myself to pull the trigger. Just the way it is. On the other hand I am 70 and miss the physical challenges stage designers used to use as I am in shape and they gave me an big advantage.

Competition is never fair or equal.

DVC

jon

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Who knows? Like was said, it is at the discretion of the RM. I would guess that it would depend on how sympathetic the RM was. The way I see it, someone with a disability, however slight, is probably at a disadvantage anyway....which means they probably won't win their division or class. 

Of course, it could be abused by those who are unethical, by claiming a disability when they have none, but wouldn't that be obvious during the match? And then, wouldn't an unsportsmanlike DQ be applicable?

Personally, I think that if a shooter can show that they have difficulty doing something, they should get that dispensation. As an example,  I hate seeing an older shooter (with a back, knee, elbow, or hip problem) have to go prone because the WSB says you have to, then watching them struggle to get back up. Sure this is a sport, but isn't a sport supposed to be fun? Are they going to win if they don't go prone? Probably not. Are they going to have more fun if they don't go prone? Probably so. Going prone is just an example, there are many other instances that could also have applied. 

My .02...

And this has moved the game away from fun, interesting challenges. A sectional this summer had a cooper tunnel and there was so much hemming and hawing and hand wringing trying to figure out how to make it tough to avoid. 

It seems the best way to alienate shooters anymore is to just put one low port in a COF.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

And this has moved the game away from fun, interesting challenges. A sectional this summer had a cooper tunnel and there was so much hemming and hawing and hand wringing trying to figure out how to make it tough to avoid. 

It seems the best way to alienate shooters anymore is to just put one low port in a COF.

You can make interesting and challenging courses of fire without putting undue stress and anxiety on elderly or shooters with a disability. I'm saying make the course as you want it made, but give the dispensation to those that actually cannot complete the course safely (without risk of injury) or for some physical limitation. Again, what harm comes of it?

1 hour ago, p7fl said:

Grumpy:

OP here, I have to disagree with you. ALL sports are inherently unfair. I have never had any eye hand co-ordination. It takes me a half day to line up a shot and then tell myself to pull the trigger. Just the way it is. On the other hand I am 70 and miss the physical challenges stage designers used to use as I am in shape and they gave me an big advantage.

Competition is never fair or equal.

DVC

jon

I'm not saying that everyone who asks for dispensation should get it...but what harm does it do to give that dispensation to someone who obviously can't do what the WSB (or rulebook) says to do? It may keep them from getting hurt, and it may let them have a bit more fun at the match, and it may keep them coming back to shoot the match again. 

I regularly shoot with a shooter who is 74. He gets around quite well, goes prone when needed, etc, but I have another friend who shoots matches that can barely walk without a cane, who is 71. I'm not saying that it is a fairness issue or a equality issue, I'm saying it is a right thing to do issue. My friend who walks with a cane, he will never win a match, class, or division...He knows it. Everyone he shoots with knows it. Why make him (or anyone else in a similar situation) risk injury doing something just because a piece of paper (WSB, or in Sarge's example, a Cooper tunnel) says you have to do it that way? Do you want to take the enjoyment they get from shooting away from them? Send them home in pain?

Sure, it is a sport. And a game. And a chance to spend time with friends who like to do the same thing...shoot.