Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass sorting....Berry's rotary case sorter?

vgdvc

Hello Reloaders. In an attempt to try to be efficient with sorting various size brass cases from range pickup I traditionally use the 3 different size plastic container type that you shake over a 5 gallon bucket with some frustration. I have seen Berry's makes a rotary case sorter with adjustable slats. Has anyone used one of these with success or is there another efficient recommendation for separating 9mm,.40 and 45? Thanks

I looked at the vid for the Berry's sorter, and it seems like a lot of work when you clean brass for 4 calibers.  You must adjust and run through the brass 3 times.

I sort, by hand,  into buckets after the range session and tumble 1 caliber per tumbler (I have 3).

Edited by RePete

No experience with the Berry's.  I have a 5 gal bucket mounted to an old HF media tumbler base, and use the same brass sorters you have, but I also have the 380 alum plate.  I can sort a 5 gal bucket in less than an hour.  I am very happy with how this setup works.

8 hours ago, GregJ said:

No experience with the Berry's.  I have a 5 gal bucket mounted to an old HF media tumbler base, and use the same brass sorters you have, but I also have the 380 alum plate.  I can sort a 5 gal bucket in less than an hour.  I am very happy with how this setup works.

Hmm. I'm having a hard time envisioning that setup.Could you give me a description or not to be a p.i.t.a but maybe post a picture?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, RePete said:

I looked at the vid for the Berry's sorter, and it seems like a lot of work when you clean brass for 4 calibers.  You must adjust and run through the brass 3 times.

I sort, by hand,  into buckets after the range session and tumble 1 caliber per tumbler (I have 3).

Same here.

I try to sort a bit at the range when I'm collecting, but ultimately I just take an evening in front og the TV and hand sort.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:24 PM, vgdvc said:

Hmm. I'm having a hard time envisioning that setup.Could you give me a description or not to be a p.i.t.a but maybe post a picture?

Here is one variation. There are quite a few if you search Shell Sorter on YouTube. Different people have different methods on it, but same result. This one is quite in depth with mods and stuff, but doesn't have to be that difficult.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, MikeyScuba said:

How would a sorter deal with nesting? Curious 

I don't think any of them are totally going to get around the nesting issue. Even with the shell sorter I have the occasional few that want to nest inside each other.

My setup is very similar to the video above.  I really like the spacers he added, I will be incorporating that into mine for my next sorting session.

Also like the 9mm plate and 380 plate mod.  Will be incorporating this as well.  

RE Nesting, The vibration does a very good job of breaking those up, but it isnt 100%.  

Edited by GregJ

On 12/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, anbrumm said:

Here is one variation. There are quite a few if you search Shell Sorter on YouTube. Different people have different methods on it, but same result. This one is quite in depth with mods and stuff, but doesn't have to be that difficult.

Thanks for the link ,that looks like a nice setup. So does anyone have a Lyman 2200 Tumblr they want to sell LOL.... really

20 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the link ,that looks like a nice setup. So does anyone have a Lyman 2200 Tumblr they want to sell LOL.... really

I've heard of people doing it with quite a few different tumblers. Unless you are specifically wanting one.

4 minutes ago, anbrumm said:

I've heard of people doing it with quite a few different tumblers. Unless you are specifically wanting one.

Yes I'm sure if it has a similar base and diameter most can be adapted. 

48 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

So does anyone have a Lyman 2200 Tumblr they want to sell LOL.... really

Buy a cheap Harbor Freight tumbler.  I took mine apart (was a PITA) to be able to bolt a bucket to it, but it works great. 

1 hour ago, GregJ said:

Buy a cheap Harbor Freight tumbler.  I took mine apart (was a PITA) to be able to bolt a bucket to it, but it works great. 

I'll look into that option thanks. What was difficult about getting it disassembled to the point where you could mount a bucket?

5 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I'll look into that option thanks. What was difficult about getting it disassembled to the point where you could mount a bucket?

you basically have ti dismantel the whole damn thing to get to the center bolt. You will see. 

16 hours ago, Kenstone said:

This guys has got it down:

I used to do that.  45ACP plastic round holders works great for 9mm.  But man is it a PITA, and slow.  The slotted buckets is a much, much, more effecient way of sorting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have and use the Berry's case sorter, You start out with it set small, [tight] that allows the 9mm to fall through then dump those into a bucket, the larger ones are still inside of the tumbler, then you open the grates up to allow the 40's to fall through, then dump them into a bucket. Now open the sorter up and what you have left is the 45's. That being said .380's and 38super will be together, then you will get some 9mm nesting inside of the 40's, with 45's there may be some nesting of 9's and 40's, but they just fall right out. It save a lot of time if you are doing a few buckets of mixed brass but you will still have to do some hand sorting.