Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill for recoil and trigger control from Rob Leatham

shootmove

• Key concept: speed up splits until rushing and mistakes set in, with an eye on improving recoil + trigger control.
  • Target: IPSC (steel or paper) at 10 yards (distance not clear from video).
  • Par time: 3.00 seconds.
  • Drill : X shots on target from the draw. X starts with 1, then count up from there (2, 3, ..., 10) until the group opens up (because trigger and recoil control break down). Rob gets up to 10, all A-zone.

Note that Rob says jerking the trigger is necessary :) The trick is to jerk the trigger fast without moving the gun too much.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Great drill.  I have doing his drill for years.  One of the best single live fire drills out there.  Much much better than a Bill drill.

Agree. These Max Michel drills complement nicely. Another one in this family that I use: 3" dot, 5-7 feet, 3 second par. From the draw shoot 1, 3, 5, 7, ... etc. shots in the par time until the group opens up (got this one from Nick Saiti). Cheers, mate.

• 1 month later...

When it warms up, I'm going to do the Stoeger 2 shot drill. (As i understand it...) From low ready, 2 shots as fast as humanly possible in the center A zone with the goal of keeping a 3" group.  start at 5yds and move out as far as possible as skill improves.