Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with the new Savage 110 Tactical?

BallisticExpansion

I've been shopping for my first bolt action rifle and was curious if anyone has had any experience/ opinions with the new savage 110 tactical. I'll put the link below to it...

I'm having a hard time picking between it and a used remington 700. Of course of anyone has any other recommendations I'm happy to hear them. Here are my requirements for the gun. .308 caliber, 20" barrel, threaded muzzle or thick enough to have threaded, .5 moa or better with handloads, and under 10lb with an optic. The savage meets all of those I think, I'm just wondering if I buy a used 700 am I getting more gun for the same cost? My main purpose for the rifle will be in the woods. However, I would like the accuracy to be acceptable for matches and also when I hunt out west I want to be confident with the guns accuracy out to 1000yd. The rem 700 I'm currently discussing with a guy locally is in a magpul stock and has the kit installed to take AI mags. He says it consistently printed .35"  at 100 yd and he used it in matches shooting 2-300rd and now is wanting to switch caliber. He is asking $750 for it or I can get a new savage out the door for $650. Anyway, your insight for a newbie is appreciated in advance.

Savage rifle: https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110110/-tactical

3 minutes ago, davsco said:

consider going with a longer barrel.  extra velocity will give you a flatter trajectory and more importantly less wind effect which matters more as you reach out to 1k.  of course longer barrel adds weight and a little more unwieldy in the woods.

Yeah the main reason I want 20" is like you said weight savings and easier to wield. There is another guy with a rem 700 varmint that has a 26" bull barrel. I though about getting it and having it cut/ threaded. But that just increases the total cost. I've heard the ideal barrel length for .308 is 21.5" but I guess that's more applicable with factory ammo?? I suppose the longest I would go is 22"