Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Power Factor should I be in?

Pickin

Hello,

Been shooting USPSA for about a year to year and a half now on and off when I could get days off to go shoot.   Now that I work Monday to Friday, I am able to make TONS more matches.   I just recently got my USPSA membership.  I currently have 2 classifiers in Limited Minor.   I am shooting a CZ TSO in 9mm, which is what I also use for Multigun.  I end up mid pack overall and right around top 5 for Limited with my current set up. 

I am thinking about buying the CZ TS complete slide in 40 so I am able to compete with Major PF.  By going to Major PF, do I lose my classifiers (still in Limited)?  Would it be worth it to buy the slide?

Edited by Pickin

Classifiers are fine you won't lose them.

Look at your number of c hits and add a point for each one, two point for each d hit then re calculate your 

hit factors and compare them to each stage compared to the other shooters 

or do it the easy way! 

Buy the 40 upper and know that the MAJORITY of limited shooters shoot major

The cost of points is way to costly to shoot minor.FWIW

Your classifiers are all in Limited division. You were scored the day of the match using minor scoring, because you weren’t shooting a .40

We often talk like “Limited minor” is it’s own division, like Limited 10 is, but that isn’t the case.

The primary advantage of Major is how little C’s hurt you. On a classifier with partial targets, you get to delibrately shoot fast agressive C-zone hits well away from the noshoot. The shorter stage times more than make up for the small loss in points.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It's more than just "buying a new slide" - you'll need to start reloading .40 Major, also and new mags.

If you're having a lot of fun shooting Ltd Minor, keep at it.

If you are tired of coming in 5th, instead of 1st or 2nd, get the .40 and learn how to reload it

(it's a little trickier than 9mm minor).     :) 

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

Why?  I've never heard of factory 40 which doesn't make major.

Most likely the opposite problem.     :surprise:

Rather than having a tough time finding a .40 factory load that makes Major,

most of them are  too hot  - PF of 180+.

The same with factory .45 ammo - standard is about PF 191 - that's why almost

everyone who shoots SS is loading their .45 DOWN to PF 168 - 172.

what jack said.  factory loads are generally somewhat hotter than the major power factor floor, so more recoil and thus slower or less accurate double taps.  if you don't want to reload, check out atlanta arms, they make 40 major that is just a little above the major power factor floor.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

It's more than just "buying a new slide" - you'll need to start reloading .40 Major, also and new mags.

If you're having a lot of fun shooting Ltd Minor, keep at it.

If you are tired of coming in 5th, instead of 1st or 2nd, get the .40 and learn how to reload it

(it's a little trickier than 9mm minor).     :) 

I don't mind 5th,  I know with better foot work and being more explosive point to point, will help.  And more A zone hits. 

By the time you buy the slide and barrel and have them fitted you are 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to a new gun.  A whole new gun was the route I was told to take when I asked about the second slide at the custom shop.

4 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Why?  I've never heard of factory 40 which doesn't make major.

WW Whitebox 165gr only made 164PF in my TS.

You can take that too far moto.  Having four guns that do exactly the same thing is a waste.  Once I had a specific pistol for each individual event/genre/sport, plus a backup for each, any new additions become excess.  I still do it anyway, because I like building guns.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

By the time you buy the slide and barrel and have them fitted you are 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to a new gun.  A whole new gun was the route I was told to take when I asked about the second slide at the custom shop.

The barrel, and guide rod come in the assembly. The 40 is ready to go minus magazines.  All in all it will be an investment of about 500 bucks

P, the barrel and slide have to be fit to the frame.  That was $200 bucks when I asked.  New TS 40s have sold for as low as $900.  So to me, spending 700/800 on a new upper vs. 900/1000 for a whole new gun makes no sense.  Especially when you consider the new gun comes with three mags.  So instead of 700/800 you're at 850/950 for the fitted upper plus mags.  Even if you spend $1200 for the TS, you still come out ahead, IMO.

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

P, the barrel and slide have to be fit to the frame.  That was $200 bucks when I asked.  New TS 40s have sold for as low as $900.  So to me, spending 700/800 on a new upper vs. 900/1000 for a whole new gun makes no sense.  Especially when you consider the new gun comes with three mags.  So instead of 700/800 you're at 850/950 for the fitted upper plus mags.  Even if you spend $1200 for the TS, you still come out ahead, IMO.

I sent out an email to the online store asking if it needed to be fit and they said no.  

But you're right. Investing that much, I could buy a whole new gun.   

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Most likely the opposite problem.     :surprise:

Rather than having a tough time finding a .40 factory load that makes Major,

most of them are  too hot  - PF of 180+.

The same with factory .45 ammo - standard is about PF 191 - that's why almost

everyone who shoots SS is loading their .45 DOWN to PF 168 - 172.

I shot factory 40 at 180pf in my TS when I first started shooting Limited; sure, handloads are softer, but I wouldn't call it a necessity.  Maybe I'm just ultra manly 🤣

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Explain the existance of a HiPoint to me then. That’s wasted. Could have made space in the safe for a quality firearm. ;) 

Once you remove the firing pin, the Hi-Point is a perfectly good handgun-shaped doorstop and/or paperweight.  And then it doesn't need to take up space in the safe.  😉

On 12/11/2018 at 11:04 PM, Pickin said:

Hello,

Been shooting USPSA for about a year to year and a half now on and off when I could get days off to go shoot.   Now that I work Monday to Friday, I am able to make TONS more matches.   I just recently got my USPSA membership.  I currently have 2 classifiers in Limited Minor.   I am shooting a CZ TSO in 9mm, which is what I also use for Multigun.  I end up mid pack overall and right around top 5 for Limited with my current set up. 

I am thinking about buying the CZ TS complete slide in 40 so I am able to compete with Major PF.  By going to Major PF, do I lose my classifiers (still in Limited)?  Would it be worth it to buy the slide?

On 12/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, Pickin said:

The barrel, and guide rod come in the assembly. The 40 is ready to go minus magazines.  All in all it will be an investment of about 500 bucks

I just bought a complete .40 for my TS less magazines for $400 and was practically brand new.