Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Heatstroke18

Are all lubricants created equal?

37 minutes ago, NbX said:

Frogoube all the year !

Surely you jest I hope. Froglube is proven garbage.

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Absolutely

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You are correct, there's actually quite a bit of Froglube  Crisco in my garbage, along with the egg shells, and pancake bits after breakfast.

1 hour ago, NbX said:

Frogoube all the year !

I don't know if this comment is funny or sad.  

I use the best stuff out there. It’s called Whatever Free Sample I Snagged off a Prize .

Table.

The stuff is amazing.

When I’m out of that? Mobil 1 and/or some high temp red synthetic grease, as applicable.

Just lube before each match and clean it every few thousand rounds (or months) and any  decent gun will run just fine.

48 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I use the best stuff out there. It’s called Whatever Free Sample I Snagged off a Prize Table.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ten years ago, @jkrispies, I got about forty tiny bottles of some  Brownells branded gun oil “with teflon” because they were leftover after an IDPA match.

That stuff lasted almost ten years. 

It’s just oil people. Use whatever is designed for metal-on-metal and you’re good

Mobil 1 - 0w-30.  Have spent a ton on proprietary "gun" lubes, including Weapon Shield oil and grease as well as Slide Glide.  I run light springs and all the greases give me problems.  Almost any of the oils work fine.  So, why not Mobil 1?  Good at all temps, recommended by Porsche for all their engines, including when raced.  Gotta think a Porsche engine undergoes a lot more wear and tear than a 2011 slide!  So, Mobil 1 it is.

Rotella T6 5-40. Why? Cause I bought a gallon and the bike takes 3 quarts 😏

Mark

Edited by mpom
Spelling

I use slip 2000, it’s great stuff. I used to use rem oil, the yellow cap stuff. Back when I used to primarily shoot ARs which get really hot and really dirty. And I’d oil it up before shooting and the rem oil would be gone by the time I was done. No malfunctions or anything, but I doubt I could go more then one session without re oiling it. Then my BCM came with a little thing of slip 2000. And I could run a few hundred rounds though it and it would still be there. I love the stuff. Not to thick and not to thin. Works great for all my pistols and rifles. I’m interested in Brian’s slide glide though. Even though it’s not like it can get any better. I like to experiment and tinker. 

I use Weapon Shield because of the really cool destructive testing videos. I have no idea if it makes a difference, but they annoy the s**t out of all the other lube guys, so it must be good. And my guns always run, so that's good too. I have Slide Glide, too, but it's used more on my rifles.

With todays lubrication chemistry I think most firearm specific oils provide ample lubrication. Ive used many over the years and only encountered a few I avoid. One is Ballistol on friction/moving applications. Ballistol is the best for corrosion prevention as a surface protectant but not on moving parts. The two I used most is M-Pro 7 and Lucas extreme duty oil. Both leave a good film on parts after firing 100+ rounds and doesnt evaporate off. As long as your oil doesnt "disappear" during a healthy day of shooting its fine. I tend to use the Lucas more now as in my AR platform its seems to be more "wet" after an outing than anything else Ive used. Recently here in the winter months in the Northeast Ive been shooting as much as I can. In temps as low as 18 degrees Ive not noticed any gumming or problems from the Lucas nor previously from M-Pro 7.  

Edited by BallisticianX