Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are all lubricants created equal?

Heatstroke18

Ok so forgive me if this is a topic already brought up and beat like a dead horse..... So I’m newer to competitive shooting and I’m wondering if there are “better” oils than others that help with performance or keep the gun running longer.  I have also seen other use a grease for the slide and barrel, but have not tried it myself. I currently use Battle Born Hi-Purity oil.  I got it in a raffle and it works fine in all my other guns, but they are mostly used to plink with.  I am open to suggestions and to hear what everyone has to say.  I shoot a Glock 35 and will be shooting a CZ ORANGE in a few weeks. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Heatstroke18 said:

Ok so forgive me if this is a topic already brought up and beat like a dead horse..... So I’m newer to competitive shooting and I’m wondering if there are “better” oils than others that help with performance or keep the gun running longer.  I have also seen other use a grease for the slide and barrel, but have not tried it myself. I currently use Battle Born Hi-Purity oil.  I got it in a raffle and it works fine in all my other guns, but they are mostly used to plink with.  I am open to suggestions and to hear what everyone has to say.  I shoot a Glock 35 and will be shooting a CZ ORANGE in a few weeks. 

Oh God..... This will be Chevy VS Ford on steroids! LOL Name any lube made and several people here will swear by it. I like weaponshield personally but hoppes gun oil works too. Many just use engine oil left over in the bottom of the jug to fill small bottles. Lasts forever and works just as well. They all pretty much do the same except maybe frog lube. Frog lube sucks.

FYI I typed "gun lube" into the search window and it showed 134 results.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Oh God..... This will be Chevy VS Ford on steroids! LOL Name any lube made and several people here will swear by it. I like weaponshield personally but hoppes gun oil works too. Many just use engine oil left over in the bottom of the jug to fill small bottles. Lasts forever and works just as well. They all pretty much do the same except maybe frog lube. Frog lube sucks.

FYI I typed "gun lube" into the search window and it showed 134 results.

Kevin you ignorant slut. Everybody knows that FireClean is the best lube out there. I buy it in bulk at my local grocer under the label Crisco. Best stuff ever and it smells wonderful. Especially when it burns off a little. Yummy. 

I've tried an awful lot of lubes, and all of them as long as I cleaned my gun after each session.  I was taught to do that anyway, so no biggie.  Then I started shooting USPSA.  I shot my TS in Limited major and had no issue with it except the slide started slowing down towards the end of a long match.  Putting moly on the lands and ways before oiling cured that issue.

Then I moved to Open.  With a tightly fit gun the slide would slow down in the cold to where I'd get stovepipes on the second stage.  The third stage would be a disaster.  If I didn't go to the safe table after every two stages to lube, I'd have problems.  No lube I tried worked.  Then I saw the Weaponshield tests on youtube.  I bought some of their cleaner and their CLP lube.  It made an amazing difference.  I could not shoot an entire local match without a problem.  I shot 300 rounds at the last monster match and didn't have a stovepipe until the last stage.  I'm sold.  I just ordered large bottles of the cleaner and lube.

In 2008 I was turned on to slide glide "lite" by the guys at Infinity.  I was a little skeptical because I thought it was more of a grease than an oil but they assured me that it was good to go and what they used in their guns and that all new guns were sent from the factory that way.  Since that time I have used slide glide in every gun I have competed with.  Pistols at major and minor pf, rifles and shotguns.  It stays on and doesn't get blown or slung off as quickly as oil.  Order a tub and give it a try.........just make sure you go with "lite"!!

Discussing gun lubes on a gun forum is ALMOST as dangerous as discussing chain lubes on a bicycle forum....

You need to lube a Glock??? OK, I do put a drop of oil in the rails and on the barrel. But you don't need to soak it like some do with 1911s. Currently using some lawnmower motor oil that was on sale. Actually, I use that oil sparingly on a 1911 style pistol and a revolver too.

18 minutes ago, perttime said:

Discussing gun lubes on a gun forum is ALMOST as dangerous as discussing chain lubes on a bicycle forum....

You need to lube a Glock??? OK, I do put a drop of oil in the rails and on the barrel. But you don't need to soak it like some do with 1911s. Currently using some lawnmower motor oil that was on sale. Actually, I use that oil sparingly on a 1911 style pistol and a revolver too.

True. I’m not saying I haven’t run a Glock very dry before and put thousands of rounds between cleanings. But I have noticed with a fit barrel, lighter spring and some polishing that towards the end of snlocal match when  oil is slung out of it I tend to have feed problems.  Then I go to the safety zone,  oil it up and I’m good for the last stage or two without problems. 

I started a similar thread in the past and have used lots of gun oils over the years.  I'm coming to realize that the less expensive red Lucas gun oil is as good as I can find.  It is viscous enough to stay in place between cleanings on a regularly used gun but thin enough not to create cycling problems, especially in cold weather.  If I need a thicker oil (such as if I think a gun may sit in the safe for awhile) I use the green Lucas oil but I find myself using that less and less in favor of the red.   

PS:  Glocks run best when lubed with a 50/50 mixture of spit and urine.  

Edited by jkrispies

Liberal Tears™️ brand gun lube keeps my guns humming like sewing machines.

Seriously though, I use whichever CLP the military is currently running. So far their gun lube testing and purchasing has not been subject to the normal politics/kickbacks/boondoggles you find in other areas of the supply process. Here's the list of approved weapon lubes (I use Break Free mostly, G96 non-bio in a pinch):

ARPOLUBE 63460E 
BREAK FREE CLP LIQUID (REV D) 
G96 CLP SYNTHETIC OIL 
G96 SYNTHETIC BIO-CLP GUN OIL 
RADCOLUBE CLP 
ROYAL PURPLE MAX-RUN SYNTHETIC GUN LUBRICANT 
ROYCO-634E 
SENT-CLP E 
SENT-CLP-EE

However, if you're running a gun with a stainless frame and slide or doing something silly like using a gun made of painted zinc alloys (*cough* GSG 1911-22 *cough*),  a touch of grease in the rails to prevent galling isn't a terrible idea.

6 hours ago, Absocold said:

Liberal Tears™️ brand gun lube keeps my guns humming like sewing machines.

Seriously though, I use whichever CLP the military is currently running. So far their gun lube testing and purchasing has not been subject to the normal politics/kickbacks/boondoggles you find in other areas of the supply process. Here's the list of approved weapon lubes (I use Break Free mostly, G96 non-bio in a pinch):

ARPOLUBE 63460E 
BREAK FREE CLP LIQUID (REV D) 
G96 CLP SYNTHETIC OIL 
G96 SYNTHETIC BIO-CLP GUN OIL 
RADCOLUBE CLP 
ROYAL PURPLE MAX-RUN SYNTHETIC GUN LUBRICANT 
ROYCO-634E 
SENT-CLP E 
SENT-CLP-EE

However, if you're running a gun with a stainless frame and slide or doing something silly like using a gun made of painted zinc alloys (*cough* GSG 1911-22 *cough*),  a touch of grease in the rails to prevent galling isn't a terrible idea.

I gotta saybthat G96 cleaning spray is a miracle product.  I’m guessing thier oil is a separate product but if it’s anything like the spray I’ll try it.  

I've been running Breakfree CLP for years.  I helped dispose of 4 gallons from a Military Base because it had Teflon in it.

Prior to that I had used G96, RemOil, Hoppes, Gunslick.  I think that they are all good.

Never tried motor oil, no need to.