Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going short colt

Mcfoto

I’m getting ready to load up my first loads of .38 short colt. Thought I’d start with Universal that I’ve been loading.38 special. Since I’ve been advised to use 9 mm data and The Hodgedon site has a good spread, I’m confident I have a good starting point. Recently, I’ve gotten a couple pounds of American Select so I’d like to try that. I’m having issues finding data for that powder. The 9 mm data on Allient only goes up to 124gr and I’m shooting 147 blues. Can Anyone give me a source for data closer to my bullet weight?

3.7 grains of American Select under a 135 gn Bayou bullet makes 127 pf out of my 627 pc. Haven’t tried a 147 grain bullet but you would be safe somewhere below 3.5 grains. 

In testing i went up to 4.6 grains of American Select with 135 bayous with no pressure signs. (I don’t recommend this as it’s unneccesary.) 

One issue with American Select is that it is large flakes. So metering the smaller weights can be inconsistent. I found that my powder drop was bridging powder if the weight was below 4.0 grains. At 4.0 and above it was consistent. So for 38SC i moved away from American Select. However, i use American Select in every other target load for any other caliber because it has consistently given me the tightest groups. Great powder

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea I’ll contact them.
38SC has the same case capacity and near identical diameter to 9mm. So using similar bullet weights and similar charges to 9mm should yield similar pressures to 9mm. I usually find a 9mm load that looks like it will work in 38SC. Then i reduce by 20% and work up to the PF i need.
Only shoot in guns chambered in 357 obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk