Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone using this to practice with? I have a range on my place, and lately have been thinking about doing what I can to leave it a little cleaner for my kids, their kids---and their kids.

I have never fired a round of "green" ammo. Any recommendations? Suppliers? Thanks

Bruce,

You can check out www.internationalcartridge.com and see if this is what you're looking for.

At the Nationals, I met Bob Evans and his son, he gave me some info on their product and will be trying it out. They're located in Reynoldsville, PA and their ph. no. is: (814)938-6820

They might even sell the components separately, not sure tho.

I tried the Simunitions Green Shield in my G22 and they worked.

Hope this helps,

barry

Green ammo will contain no lead - in any form. Such ammo normally has a sintered copper bullet, but it could use some other form as well, as long as no lead is present. Green ammo also uses lead free primers.

Semi-green ammunition may be like the CCI-Speer Cleanfire having lead in the bullet, though totally encapsulated, and a lead free primer. They also have (or had) some using sintered copper bullets as well.

The greatest problem with lead free primers is that they produce more thrust against the breechface. This is why you are seeing small primers being used in some, such as Winclean and Federal Non-Toxic, as well as some crimping the primers (Federal). Earlier attamps saw the flash hole enlarged to reduce the backthrust.

Prior to these sorts of changes, guns were having the breechface peened (damaged) from the force of the primers. I don't know if the changes have totally eliminated peening, but they have certainly reduced it.

Costs are generally higher for lead free ammunition, and the lead free priemr technology may see a greater number of misfires - somewhat dependent on local weather conditions. The lead free primer mixes tend to be moresensitive to humidity conditions than lead styphnate primers.

Guy