Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI +2 Extension fitting?

AKJD

Bought 2 TTI +2 magazine extensions for my x-5 21 round magazines.  I  was under he impression these were slip on but mine would probably need a bfh to get them on unless I file a bit of metal off the back of the mag to get the lip to fit over the back of the mag.  Anyone else have this problem?  I don't mind doing it but want to make sure I'm not missing something as they didn't come with any instructions and I didn't see anything on the TTI web site saying the mags would need to be modified.

IMG_3037.JPG.37488e756078af175b2890cade30419f.JPGIMG_3038.JPG.d4d1c6d8850f92b1ab79d54b39db1e91.JPG

I wouldn’t think any modification would be needed. I just checked mine and there is a little extra room, not much, maybe a weak 1/8 of an inch play in the  mag extension. The only snafu I ran into was the last coil of the spring got caught between the extension and the  mag the first time I put them on.  I couldn’t get it to do it just now though. I will have my mags Sunday if you are shooting and you want to check them out.  Call TT and they will set it right if there is something wrong.

Take the spring and follower out

Slide the tube on front to back and push the pin in the front up and see if the tube fits.

If the tube is to wide you may have to squeeze it slightly or try another tube.

Do not file anything until you've looked at someone else's or called taran.

the ridge of aluminum in the rear of the pad is the stop and the pin holds it on the front.

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Slide the tube on front to back and push the pin in the front up and see if the tube fits.

If the tube is to wide you may have to squeeze it slightly or try another tube.

Do not file anything until you've looked at someone else's or called taran.

the ridge of aluminum in the rear of the pad is the stop and the pin holds it on the front.

Yes. The first time I tried to install the TTI pads on 320 mags I was going "??? the heck...".

Then I realized that they install the opposite of most factory basepads.

43 minutes ago, ddc said:

Yes. The first time I tried to install the TTI pads on 320 mags I was going "??? the heck...".

Then I realized that they install the opposite of most factory basepads.

Yep, I just had the same experience.  Base pad slides on from back to front

Boy I feel like an idiot. Got  home from a trip and they were waiting in the mail.  Was in a hurry and tried to put them on from the back like every other extension I’ve owned and didn’t look at them close enough to see they would slide on from the front. They fit fine, all is well. Thanks for setting me straight.

8 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I did the same thing when I first got them. Then the lightbulb clicked on. Felt stupid for a few minutes. 

19 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

So many do they actually hold 22 or 23?

Good question... I've only used them on a 17 rounder...

I seem to recall a thread addressing this. I'll see if I can find it when I get a minute.

Ok, this is the one I was thinking of: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/267175-tti-2-basepads/?tab=comments#comment-2969685

Edited by ddc
added a link

43 minutes ago, Babayaga said:

The TT+2 extensions on the 21 round Sig mags gets you 23 rounds.  

If you try to slap a Grams follower in it you are wasting $20 cuz you still will only be able to get 23 in. Tried and tested. 

Ya, but much less chance of having an incident during a reload if you use a grams. 

1 minute ago, Rich406 said:

Ya, but much less chance of having an incident during a reload if you use a grams. 

Do you mean there is more room so it makes for easier/reliable reloads?  I didn’t find that to be the case.  For some reason with the Grams follower the magazine had less give than with the OEM follower and spring. I know it doesn’t make sense. Maybe my mags are weird. 

Just now, Babayaga said:

Do you mean there is more room so it makes for easier/reliable reloads?  I didn’t find that to be the case.  For some reason with the Grams follower the magazine had less give than with the OEM follower and spring. I know it doesn’t make sense. Maybe my mags are weird. 

If I don’t use a grams, I have to use much more force when inserting the mag. In my experience there is much more give when using the grams. 

I don’t get too worked up over  capacity on the reload magazine . If I start with 23+1 and reload with a factory 21 round magazine (which I will probably download one) I have 44 rounds between the two which should handle any stage. If it doesn’t I’m fubar anyways and having one more  round isn’t going to fix it.

Edited by AKJD

16 minutes ago, AKJD said:

I don’t get too worked up over  capacity on the reload magazine . If I start with 23+1 and reload with a factory 21 round magazine (which I will probably download one) I have 44 rounds between the two which should handle any stage. If it doesn’t I’m fubar anyways and having one more  round isn’t going to fix it.

‘It’s not uncommon for a couple of the local matches I attend to have several 40-50+  round stages. 

Received my TTI base pads today, and like others started installing them the wrong way, before going WTF... Guess an inscribed arrow on the inside might be a good way for them to cut down on tech support calls and client oopses. 

• 3 weeks later...