Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reload not going into battery

Shrek1

I reload with a dillon 650, 135 gr bluebullet with tite group. Recently, I have been having issues what gun not going into battery after being fired and will be stuck just barely out of battery. I am shooting a Glock 34 gen 5, had the same issue with the stock barrel. I am also case gauging every round....  Any thoughts on what the issue may be?

10 minutes ago, Shrek1 said:

Not sure what the plunk test is. 

Take barrel out of gun and drop a round in chamber

Should fall all the way in, spin freely and fall right out when tipped over. If it doesn't shorten just a smidge and repeat until it passes test.

Also, check for enough crimp to remove all bell in case mouth while you are at it.

Edited by Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

Ok plunk test completed. No issues....
Oal 1.123-7 five tested.
Titegroup 3.1 gn

Also look at my slide and found some obvious carbon build up around the ejector on the slide. Thinking that may be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The extractor slides into the extractor groove when it picks up the round from the magazine, and the extractor moves forward and backward as necessary during feeding to allow the cartridge to turn this and that way as it deflects off the ramp and the roof of the chamber and so forth as it slides homeGunk gumming up the extractor can absolutely cause failures to feed because it restricts the cartridges ability to turn as it needs to.

After some more testing today, i cleaned my glock very well last night, factory ammo runs with no issues. Reloads were the issue, not seating properly. New loads working fine, when in doubt i drop one in a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like an ojive issue. Your bullet profile might not have enough room in your chamber. The punk and spin with tell you if it is the problem.

I was working on a WWII Browning hi-power. When using my rounds that work great in the M&P9, the same problem accured. Some people call it a short chamber. I had to shorten the Col to get it to chamber, then I dropped the powder charge and worked it up for the new col.

• 5 weeks later...

I was about to post my issue and ran into this topic. Very similar issue. Finally received my Custom CZ Shadow 2 from CZ Custom and went to the range to zero the gun. Ran about (150) rounds of Fed A&E 147g FP through the gun just fine. Loaded up a mag with the my equivalent loads that I've been shooting just fine through my M&P Pro. Rack the slide, pull the trigger, bang and done. Slide doesn't go into full battery and jammed. Drop magazine, palm of hand ram closed and fire. Replace mag, repeat and same issue.

Back home did the plunk test and sure enough, round would not fully seat. Loaded thousands of these rounds on my Hornady LnL and then gauge each round with the Hornady case gauge. Interesting thing, I went through my box of loads and dropped them into the Dillon case gauge and they dropped in just fine and I could dump them out of the gauge. Using the Hornady gauge, the round would drop all the way in and seat flush in one direction but if i turn the round ninety degrees it would drop all the way flush. Need had a single FTF, FTL in the M&P but the same rounds will not load in the CZ. Plunked both guns which means the CZ as substantially tighter tolerances.

For some reason the trend is for Euro manufacturers (FN for Hi-Power barrels as an exception) to run shallower throats in handgun vs our american counterparts. I had a tanfo 9mm that had this issue. my usual COL's for M&P, Hi-Power, or 1911 9's would be too long. 

Time to start playing with the micrometer and do some comparisons. I was slightly suspicious that the cases weren't getting resized all the way for the last 1/16" or so at the head. I sort all my brass by head stamp and so far have only been loading Federal brass so all my loads are the same case. I also only load 147g FP bullets so COAL should be shorter than the RPs

On the plus side, the LnL is boxed up and a loaded Dillon XL 650 is taking it's place. Working on setting up all the dies now so get to start from scratch.

2 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Time to start playing with the micrometer and do some comparisons. I was slightly suspicious that the cases weren't getting resized all the way for the last 1/16" or so at the head. I sort all my brass by head stamp and so far have only been loading Federal brass so all my loads are the same case. I also only load 147g FP bullets so COAL should be shorter than the RPs

On the plus side, the LnL is boxed up and a loaded Dillon XL 650 is taking it's place. Working on setting up all the dies now so get to start from scratch.

Try this: LINK

With my bullet of choice I need to load to 1.095 for my CZ Shadow.

P.S. Make sure your sizing die kisses the shellplate. 

Edited by 4n2t0

6 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Plunked both guns which means the CZ as substantially tighter tolerances.

No, the OAL is simply too long for that chamber with that bullet.  We have seen this a bazillion times, most often with CZ, but also a few others.

BallisticianX touched on it.

There is a maximum OAL that any bullet can be loaded to in a particular chamber before it actually touches the rifling when fully chambered.  If you load longer than that, your bullet will engage the rifling, and if it's too far past that point, it will hold the gun out of battery.  That is what you are experiencing.

In many Western and Eastern European countries, it's illegal to have any bullet type other than RN.  FMJ-RN will seat exceedingly long without engaging the rifling -- longer, in fact, than the magazine will allow.  Several gun manufacturers in Europe do not account for bullet types other than FMJ-RN, and their throats are a bit shorter than guns built in the U.S., where an unlimited variety of bullet profiles is permitted.  This is NOT a problem.  It simply means you need to load cartridges a few hundredths of an inch shorter for a CZ (or some Tanfos, some Walthers, and so on and so on) than you would for most pistols.

Perfectly normal.  Just determine the max OAL for that pistol with whatever bullets you load, and load shorter than that.  There are boatloads of threads that discuss how to determine max OAL.  I wouldn't be surprised if one was linked to previously in this thread.

Digital micrometer on board....

Fed AE                     LnL reloads                Dillon XL650

COL                    1.065                            1.089 *                         1.070

Dia @ head         .3885                            .3885                           .389

Crimp dia            .378                                 .378                           .379

I think I did the plunk test for CBTO when setting up loads for the M&P @ 1.089 These loads run all day in the M&P, jamb up the CZ. I pulled some test loads (no primer, no powder) from the Dillon 650 and plunked the barrel for the CZ. The Federal AE @ 1.065 load perfect, the LnL @ 1.089 not even close and the Dillon loads @ 1.070 drop high and stick in the plunk test.

WOW....that's some touchy settings for chamber length for the CZ. .005 is the difference between seating and not?