Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibratory dry cleaning case lube off finished reloads?

IGOTGLOCKED

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/11/2018 at 2:08 AM, xrayfk05 said:

I use (non chlorinated" brake cleaner to clean off Dillon case lube, drop the rounds on a towel, spray and rub. Clean rounds.

Only doing it because you get very dirty hands otherwise, I don't think it really matters for pistol rounds.

Used to do similar. Put 200-300 rounds in a bowl drizzle with organic mineral spirits mix with both hands (with nitrile gloves on) for a few minutes, pour onto a towel and rub around. Does a great job but messy and time consuming...

On 12/11/2018 at 8:12 PM, 12glocks said:

I dry tumble for 5 minutes and the One Shot case lube is off my pistol rounds.  I got sick of always having a black oily thumb and the rounds look nice now.  I did with and without chrono tests, no change noted.

Thanks, just asked Ofishl1 if he had put any through a chrono...

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

18 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Awesome, seems safe then. Ever check for difference through a chrono?

No but the RO did comment how quiet my gun was.  I've noticed quite a bit of difference between the Bayou 160gr and Ibejheads 165gr.

I could run them through the chrono but to be honest I don't feel the need.  I'll pull a bullet and take pics

1 minute ago, MikeyScuba said:

No but the RO did comment how quiet my gun was.  I've noticed quite a bit of difference between the Bayou 160gr and Ibejheads 165gr.

I could run them through the chrono but to be honest I don't feel the need.  I'll pull a bullet and take pics

Cool, no big deal just curious. If it ever stops raining I might as I am that interested however I have not yet done so either.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 5:05 PM, Service Desk said:

I once left some 45ACP rounds in a Lyman 1200 tumbler for 6 weeks while I was overseas...they were super shiny to the point that the silver primers had the nickel totally polished off. They still fired OK and the cases were fine.

That is hilarious - LOL!

I did not run any through the chrono but they shot fine and it sure is less of a mess than cleaning them with mineral spirits...

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Cheers!

I have been running finished rifle rounds through walnut media to get the case lube off for a while.  Recently did the same 9mm and it of course worked just as well. I run both about an hour. Just change out the media slightly more frequently as it can become saturated. 

On 12/24/2018 at 5:05 PM, Service Desk said:

I once left some 45ACP rounds in a Lyman 1200 tumbler for 6 weeks while I was overseas...they were super shiny to the point that the silver primers had the nickel totally polished off. They still fired OK and the cases were fine.

That's awesome!

Sounds like a Myth Busters experiment

If I've used resizing lube I run the brass through the vibratory cleaner (crushed walnut shells) right after resizing/belling.

Thirty minutes does it.  I bought an appliance timer at Lowes.  Had two outlets on it.  I set it for 30 minutes (an hour if I'm to lazy to play with it till I get it to 30 minutes).  

Then I run it through a second vibratory cleaner (crushed walnut shells again) with a dribble of nufinish car wax poured on the media about every three batches.  Brass is shinier than without the wax and stays shiny longer.

If I have some really nasty looking brass I segregate the pieces out till I get enough for a batch to put in the wet tumbler with the pins/water/lemishine and run that for 4 to 6 hours.  I then run that damp/wet brass through the first (the one used to clean dirty brass) vibratory cleaner to dry the brass out.  Then it gets run through the vibratory cleaner with wax before reloading it.

8 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

If I've used resizing lube I run the brass through the vibratory cleaner (crushed walnut shells) right after resizing/belling.

Thirty minutes does it.  I bought an appliance timer at Lowes.  Had two outlets on it.  I set it for 30 minutes (an hour if I'm to lazy to play with it till I get it to 30 minutes).  

Then I run it through a second vibratory cleaner (crushed walnut shells again) with a dribble of nufinish car wax poured on the media about every three batches.  Brass is shinier than without the wax and stays shiny longer.

If I have some really nasty looking brass I segregate the pieces out till I get enough for a batch to put in the wet tumbler with the pins/water/lemishine and run that for 4 to 6 hours.  I then run that damp/wet brass through the first (the one used to clean dirty brass) vibratory cleaner to dry the brass out.  Then it gets run through the vibratory cleaner with wax before reloading it.

Almost identical to my process.  Works great.  Left some in the vibratory 24 on accident one time and the Hi-Tek coating was completely stripped off the lead right up to the case.   lol

Kraken Fan #69

On 1/11/2019 at 4:28 AM, M1A4ME said:

21 hours ago, KrakenFan69 said:

Almost identical to my process.  Works great.  Left some in the vibratory 24 on accident one time and the Hi-Tek coating was completely stripped off the lead right up to the case.   lol

Kraken Fan #69

Good grief, you guys must be retired and have all the time in the world to make super shiny brass! (Which doesn't affect pistol ammo accuracy at all...)

Just clean it first, lube it, load it on one pass thru your progressive, and then dry tumble for at least 15 minutes after. Perfect ammo ready to shoot and minimal handling... 

You can probably Google it, but a guy ran an experiment where he tumbled loaded rounds for 1 week. He pulled the bullets and looked at the powder under a magnifier. He said there was NO discernable difference or powder disintegration.

Go shot em!

19 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

I would think the best test for changes to the powder would be a combination of velocity/accuracy tests.

It's not just size/shape with powder as some have burn inhibitors on the surface of the kernels/flakes/balls.

Indeed, which I will most certainly do if it ever freaking stops raining!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:08 AM, Service Desk said:

Nah...just the result of competing priorities in a stress rich environent...I use a timer on my tumblers now, lesson learnt.

The bearings in the little Lyman had melted all the grease out and it howled like a banshee...but was still running !

LMAO!!!

Just now, dtuns said:

I never use lube on pistol reloading. I tumble brass in walnut and load with out lube.

Have you tried it? Just can't imagine not using lube. More consistent ammo, easier on the equipment and shoulder if you load in volume.