Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibratory dry cleaning case lube off finished reloads?

IGOTGLOCKED

I did search, unsuccessfully however I did search...

There has been quite a lot of dialog regarding how to clean case lube off reloaded brass. Many say the vibratory cleaners with dry media for a short time is ok. To each their own.

The situation is I put a couple of hundred (9) in to clean and was called away for an urgent situation. Upon returning about three hours later they were certainly very clean and shiny however the question is are they safe to shoot?

9mm mouse farts

145 gr coated RN

3.2 gr Sport Pistol

Fed SP Mag primers

Thanks in advance!

IGG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never done it that long but have run the same load as yours for about and hour with no problems.   I have run rifle rounds for hours with no issues. I have read the same about other people leaving them in to long with no problems. So I say your ok.

I tried and did not like dry case lube.  When I buy brass from a vendor who wet cleans them, but does nothing else, I dry tumble them first in media with a little Dillon case polish in it.  30 minutes and there is no sticking when expanding.  I currently buy fully processed brass that is treated with a light coating of wax after drying.  You don't have to do anything to them except load them.

I use One Shot and used to clean all finished rounds after loading.  One night, I got lazy, and didn't run them through my dry media cleaner before shooting.  It didn't matter. 

6 years later, best I can tell, it still has not mattered.

This is true with 40 loads in Glocks, 9mm loads in Glocks, and 9mm loads in an MPX.

1 hour ago, Ofishl1 said:

1 shot case lube to load ..and then fire...Never tumbled after loading .40, ...45...over 10,000 rounds 9mm thru my PCC and over 20,000 rounds  38 supercomp in my open gun....waste of effort-time in my opinion.

Interesting!  I have been using Dillion case lube and always tumbled the loaded rounds for 30 min to get the lube off.  I am going to try 1 shot next loading session with no tumbling to save that step.

I use (non chlorinated" brake cleaner to clean off Dillon case lube, drop the rounds on a towel, spray and rub. Clean rounds.

Only doing it because you get very dirty hands otherwise, I don't think it really matters for pistol rounds.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:47 PM, sdrr72 said:

I use One Shot and used to clean all finished rounds after loading.  One night, I got lazy, and didn't run them through my dry media cleaner before shooting.  It didn't matter. 

6 years later, best I can tell, it still has not mattered.

This is true with 40 loads in Glocks, 9mm loads in Glocks, and 9mm loads in an MPX.

I agree. I stopped dry tumbling loaded rounds several years ago as an experiment. And never started back up.

I wonder if it depends on the amount and/or type of lube.

I use the homebrew lanolin/99% alcohol mix at about a 1/15  ratio. 

I never saw a need to tumble after loading. My order of operations goes like this:

1. Pick up brass at range (as I'm too cheap to buy it).

2. Sort.

3. Wet tumble (in a wet tumble I built).

4. Rinse, lay out on towel for a few days to dry.

5. Into and out of press.

6. Back to range and repeat process.

The responses are much appreciated from all even regarding whether they need to be cleaned at all And clean they are  however I am inquiring as to if there has ever been instances that has proven they were not safe to fire after that prolonged of a vibratory cleaning...

Thx again!

IGG

20 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

The responses are much appreciated from all even regarding whether they need to be cleaned at all And clean they are  however I am inquiring as to if there has ever been instances that has proven they were not safe to fire after that prolonged of a vibratory cleaning...

Thx again!

IGG

You can google it. Somewhere there tests that were done to disprove any problems. I think somebody tumbled all day and pulled bullets to check powder etc. Everything fired same as not tumbled at all.

Back when..I left .38 Supercomp major loads in the tumbler for 4 or more hours when I got busy doing other stuff...no issues running them at all. What I did notice was some of them due the weight clattered around the bottom of the tumbler more than others and picked up black streaks on the case from the gunk layered on the plastic at the bottom of the tumbler....these I had to hand clean and thus ended my "loaded" tumbling excersize.

I tumble my match ammo to get the 1 shot off. I do about 30 min normally. One night I forgot and let them run all night. Really shiny!

Had one of my better matches that time. Might go back to overnight in the future LOL.

I have never seen anything that seems different about re-tumbled ammo. Good to go.