Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended cylinder release

Mcfoto

Hi all,

Still pimping out my 627. Looking at an extended cylinder release. Looks like TK or Hogue. Anyone with an opinion on one over the other or something else? Did a search and found a thread about Revolver supply ones but don't look like they come in chrome?

I have both. The TK has more aggressive checkering then the Hogue model. I like the checkering on the TK and the polished look matches shiny guns. If you are trying to color match S&W finishes, the Hogue releases come in bead blasted silver and black.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It really depends on how you hold your gun. The Hogue ended up rubbing a hole in my thumb knuckle because I hold it so high. I ended up going with a 10mmDave plastic release purchased from Revolver Supply. But he's on here so if you PM him you can buy direct. Takes a while for him to get back, so if you want it soon just go to revolver supply. They're black plastic/nylon, which is why they don't come in chrome. But they're much shorter than either the Hogue shorty or the TK, so they stay out of the way and I don't have a blister/open wound on my thumb. Function over form in this case. If you hold your revo different, go with whatever. I still had to trim the 10mmDave version, but it got it a lot shorter than a trimmed Hogue. You could cut the Hogue in 3 pieces and weld the 2 ends together if you really wanted to, if it ends up being too long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have both TKC and Hogue in both lengths and it comes down to which one is out of the way while you shoot. The strong-hand thumb seems to be the deciding factor - you obviously don't want to rest it on the release, but you also don't want it too close under it as it will scrape and draw blood. The one that doesn't work for me is the long Hogue

For opening cylinder, they all work pretty much the same. 

A lot of guys are trimming the short releases down and smoothing out the left side so their thumb clears it but still makes the reload easy. Going from a factory or idpa legal release to the Hogue and TK shorts made a big difference in how well I can keep the muzzle controlled during sub 1.5 reloads. Honestly around 2 seconds, as in a reload while moving, it didn’t seem to matter what release is on the gun

25 minutes ago, MWP said:

A lot of guys are trimming the short releases down and smoothing out the left side so their thumb clears it but still makes the reload easy. Going from a factory or idpa legal release to the Hogue and TK shorts made a big difference in how well I can keep the muzzle controlled during sub 1.5 reloads. Honestly around 2 seconds, as in a reload while moving, it didn’t seem to matter what release is on the gun

Yes, thank you. I took up Mike Burgess’s generous offer and tried out his spare Hogue short. It was on for only a couple days as I had a pending match and didn’t want different hand memory so went back to stock. The big advantage I noticed was, as you mentioned, easier to keep the muzzle pointing down range. The major disadvantage was I missed being able to press the release toward the frame and gaining some leverage in getting the cylinder open. Of course, this can send the muzzle leftward toward the 180. Mike has ground down the side a bit so it didn’t catch my thumb at all but it did catch the edge of a dummy round clip a couple times so another thing to adapt.

Interesting side note: above I thought it odd the Revolver Supply release only came in black. Today I picked up my 66 from the gunsmith after a month and noticed for the first time that the stock release on that gun was black (albeit metal).

Hogue Short release, the long requires too much rearward thumb thumb movement to get to it for standard size hands, Long might be alright if you have large hands. The TK Custom release is near the exact same profile as the Hogue short version with checkering instead of vertical serrations. In the heat of shooting I never noticed any slippage while manipulating the Hogue release as your thumb is pushing in but rolling out at the same time time so its bites into the serrations. The TK Checkering isn't necessary to me but I can understand the appeal. 

As far as the releases hitting and cutting thumbs... Ive honestly never heard anyone speak of it before. Im Interested and curious to know what grip style is being used to have that issue.  I use the revolver grip of strong hand thumb tuck/support hand thumb wrap over grip and Ive never had any injury from contact.