Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shield upgrades

tk4

I have have a Shield in 9mm. Mine is the S&W performance center with ported barrel and improved trigger. The trigger on the performance was significantly better than a standard shield. Not sure if the barrel is any better than the standard shield outside of the porting. For accuracy I can put a full magazine into the head of a USPSA target at 15 yards.

I have a dead stock original version in 9mm. Although the trigger could be improved, most of the time I can clean a plate rack at 25 yards just like it came in the box. Its a great shooting small carry pistol. Used for its intended purpose I would not modify it in any way and I can't imagine using it for anything other than a small carry pistol. The trigger is hard enough that its not going to go off too easy, it points well, the sights are good enough and the size and shape is good. 

being in mass , my shield came with a god awful trigger. I had my gunsmith do a trigger job on it with stock parts (no apex) and he got the pull down to a nice crisp 6# pull.

out to about 10 -15 yards I'm good with it, outside of that it gets a little tougher, being it's a sub compact.

I found the 9C a lot easier to shoot accurately. It's basically just a double stack version of the shield, but it doesn't conceal

as easily so I stuck with the shield.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a PC and dropped in a SilencerCo threaded barrel, mostly because it was the cheapest option for a 9mm threaded barrel in something I've owned. What I didn't expect was to see it bump up in accuracy. I put a ~3" group at almost 10 yards with the second magazine. I was pleasantly surprised. Annoying that I'll need to mod my holsters but I was impressed. 

I was also impressed with how well I could shoot mine for it being such a relatively small pistol. All I did was change out the sights to something with a large, bright front dot to make it easier to pick up. Think I used Ameriglo I-dots or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the top of the line flat Apex trigger and finger optic sights on my shield. The trigger was fantastic for a duty style gun,  but it didn't seem to improve my personal accuracy any. Can't seem to shoot this single stacks well. 

• 1 month later...

Just got one for a great price at Christmas. Took it to the range for a zero check. The sights were about a foot off so needed to drift the front (which was not centered). After centering the sights, I was seriously impressed. Shot 2 groups at 25 yds off a rest.  Hornady Critical Duty 135gr shot about 4” and my 147gr XTP handloads shot less than 2”. 

Trigger is is hard but crisp. Very impressed. 

4 hours ago, Ten-X said:

Just got one for a great price at Christmas. Took it to the range for a zero check. The sights were about a foot off so needed to drift the front (which was not centered). After centering the sights, I was seriously impressed. Shot 2 groups at 25 yds off a rest.  Hornady Critical Duty 135gr shot about 4” and my 147gr XTP handloads shot less than 2”. 

Trigger is is hard but crisp. Very impressed. 

Add an Apex carry trigger/sear package and enjoy even more!

• 2 weeks later...