Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the dot...

vgdvc

Hello, I'm new to open coming from limited and I have a used Brazos Custom  with C-more on its way to me soon. I have played with carry optics a little and have come across an occuring theme...trying to finding the dot quickly. This isn't an issue with the draw but more coming into an akward position or deep/tight lean. With irons my front sight is always in my peripheral to guide me. Any tips,guidance or exercises to put me on a good path in is greatly appreciated, thanks. 

It’s takes a while to get the hang of. I remember when I first started with the dot, I’d lose it all the time. Damn thing was just nowhere to be found. Then with time it got easier and easier to track. Just give it some time and practice 

Dry fire as must as you can and practice the awkward positions. Set up small barricades in the house/ garage so you can work on finding the dot as you lean around it, it's also a good time to work on having the gun ready as you get in position. I think it takes time and practice. 

5 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

Are you keeping a target focus or looking through the optic to find the dot?

So I thought I was using a true target focus and then I tried this trick brought to my attention to test it. I put a piece of paper cut-out in front of the Burris fastfire I have all my carry optic. If I'm able to have a target focus I can superimpose the dot on it without having an obstruction of the target. If I'm focusing on the dot I can barely see the target at all which is what the case  most of the time. So now during dry fire I'm trying to  put my visual focus on the target by using this method. I can imagine what it's going to do if I go back to iron sights on long/tight shots LOL

2 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Has anyone found any useful repeatable reference such as something on a C More itself that helps draw your visual attention to the dot as the gun gets leveled to fire coming into position?

If you put the top of the dot module in the bottom of the lens the dot should appear.

Edited by caspian guy

12 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

If you put the top of the dot module in the bottom of the lens the dot should appear.

Thanks. Once I get it in my hands I'll be able to start finding a method.,That makes good sense. I'm trying to start with good habits so I don't have to untrain myself later of bad ones.

1 hour ago, caspian guy said:

I had difficulty "finding the dot" for a year, and found this  ^^^^^^^^^^^ to be a big help.

But, as I practiced with the gun, it has become less and less of an issue.    :) 

So I thought I was using a true target focus and then I tried this trick brought to my attention to test it. I put a piece of paper cut-out in front of the Burris fastfire I have all my carry optic. If I'm able to have a target focus I can superimpose the dot on it without having an obstruction of the target. If I'm focusing on the dot I can barely see the target at all which is what the case  most of the time. So now during dry fire I'm trying to  put my visual focus on the target by using this method. I can imagine what it's going to do if I go back to iron sights on long/tight shots LOL

Lol, I once had a pair of club members yelling at me telling me this was impossible to do.

You gotta do a hard target focus and not stray from it. Your problem may be as simple as arm positioning when presenting.

Hello: There are a couple of tricks you can do to help you find the dot and get target focus. For target focus tape the front of the C-More off and shoot with both eyes open. The dot will appear on the target even though you can't see through the C-More. Next is if you loose the dot pull the pistol towards you until the dot appears. This works very well for weak hand shooting. Last tip I use on really close hoser targets is index off the slide and don't even try to find the dot. Welcome to open, "the go fast miss fast division". Thanks,Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: There are a couple of tricks you can do to help you find the dot and get target focus. For target focus tape the front of the C-More off and shoot with both eyes open. The dot will appear on the target even though you can't see through the C-More. Next is if you loose the dot pull the pistol towards you until the dot appears. This works very well for weak hand shooting. Last tip I use on really close hoser targets is index off the slide and don't even try to find the dot. Welcome to open, "the go fast miss fast division". Thanks,Eric

This advice is spot on and had helped me. Dry fire and a consistent draw helps a ton as well

v, do NOT look at the dot.  Doing so is a conscious effort and it screws up your sub-conscious targeting system.  When you focus on the target, your sub-conscious quickly learns to put the dot on target automagically.  It works the same for shotgun shooting.  You focus on the bird and your sub-conscious knows exactly where to point the barrel and when to fire.

Another trick I learned when shooting weak hand, close the strong hand eye.  If you don't, your strong hand eye will want to do the 'aiming'.  That means your wrist is bent when you shoot and you will lose the dot after recoil.  I'm right handed.  If I close my right eye I have way less trouble picking up the dot.  If I don't, I waste a second or more after each shot finding it again.

9 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

Lol, I once had a pair of club members yelling at me telling me this was impossible to do.

You gotta do a hard target focus and not stray from it. Your problem may be as simple as arm positioning when presenting.

With my carry optic Glock I can go back 35-40 yards and keep them in the headbox freestyle slow fire w/o much effort. Once I put paper in front of the lens I can eventually clarity of the dot on target but group is low and poor.  I dont know if I should be reading this that I am not having a true target focus.

I am a lefty and shoot Left to right. So using a side mount C-more really helped.  It brings the dot down, so you can find the front of your barrel, then move eyes up, dot will be there.  If you must mount your optics on top, using the on/off dial, bring that into the bottom of the glass, and dot will be directly above.  Open is a kick

I found ( but barrel manufactures say it's not so ) that with popple holes you need to run a bit hotter.  I am running 124 gn jacket Delta Precision bullets with 7.4 gr of Winchester auto-comp. Powder is available, reasonably priced, and seems soft enough.  Other say V-320 is better, have not tried. 

I found a lot of dry firing really helped me find the dot.  Practice transitions and reacquiring your grip from movement.  Also, practice drawing with strong hand and changing to weak hand - this was the hardest for me to pick up the dot .  If you are considering VV powders, 3N37 or 3N38 are good choices for 9mm major.

10 hours ago, hamiltonian said:

I found a lot of dry firing really helped me find the dot.  Practice transitions and reacquiring your grip from movement.  Also, practice drawing with strong hand and changing to weak hand - this was the hardest for me to pick up the dot .  If you are considering VV powders, 3N37 or 3N38 are good choices for 9mm major.

Thanks for the advice. It's  .38super. I'm going to try to work up some loads with AA7 since it seems to be a popular choice and more readily available than the VihtaVouri powders.