Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight of TF Delrin vs Aluminum basepads

not sure of the weight but I use the TF 40+1 pads on my glock mags and they take a licking and keep on ticking. 

I am actually looking at ordering one of the TF Goliath 51+1 pads due to the change in the attachment and assembly / cleaning ease.

Thank you very much!! In retrospect, I guess I could have estimated given that the density of aluminum is about 1 and the density of delrin is about 0.49 that as long as the dimensions are the same, it should be about half the weight. The parts themselves are not always the same dimensions though. Thank you.
You're welcome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m trying to lighten things up and this is one of the places where I could potentially do that. Little bits add up, and this is probably one of the places where people don’t give it much thought.

My concern when looking at the two materials was which one will take getting dropped the best.

I don't have a lot of experience with the delrin, so I got the aluminum version because I didn't want it to explode when it hit the floor on a mag change.

4 minutes ago, Startingover said:

My concern when looking at the two materials was which one will take getting dropped the best.

I don't have a lot of experience with the delrin, so I got the aluminum version because I didn't want it to explode when it hit the floor on a mag change.

Delrin is a tough material. It make great bearing material, railroad cars used bronze bushings for the axles for years and they were lucky to get a year out of the bronze bushing. Railroads started using Delrin bushings and the were serviceable after 5 years and did not require as much lube.

Delrin is also one of the easiest to machine materials. Even easier than aluminum.

1 minute ago, The Donald said:

Delrin is a tough material. It make great bearing material, railroad cars used bronze bushings for the axles for years and they were lucky to get a year out of the bronze bushing. Railroads started using Delrin bushings and the were serviceable after 5 years and did not require as much lube.

Delrin is also one of the easiest to machine materials. Even easier than aluminum.

I knew it was tough, but is it tougher than aluminum?

I didn't know.

We’re not dropping PCC mags. At least those of use who don’t live in 10 round states. The mags we drop are usually the 17 rounders. 

Re: 2 oz is a waste: 2 oz here, 2 oz there, it adds up. When you are buying new pads and you have a choice to buy one that is $10 cheaper, and 2 oz lighter, it seems the waste to me to buy the aluminum one if it is only for looks. That’s my take on it.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:58 AM, zzw26n said:

I have both and prefer the Delrin. Never had one break and we shot indoors during the winter.

Same here. I have both and prefer the Delrin because it was drop it whereas the Aluminum I had to slightly file the pad to take 41rds.