Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zentih - Tisas Commander

Lubecktech

In a couple weeks I am going to buy a Commander size 9MM 1911 mainly for defensive pistol matches and as a range toy.
At this point I am considering a Magnum Research 1911c, Springfield Range Officer Champion or Ruger SR1911 LW Commander. I have seen the ZENITH ZIG PCS9 in stainless for $450 and am very tempted but for that price leery. Does anyone have any experience with this gun or series 80 Tisas guns? If so how are the triggers? I have done a lot of research on Tisas today and while I have read some negative things I would say most of what I have seen ash been rather positive.
Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Lubecktech

You know I’ve always heard the series 80s triggers aren’t very good. But yesterday at my LGS I handled a kimber full size 1911 in 45acp and the trigger was very nice, super crisp break, little to no take up and minimal over travel. It was a bit heavy for me, probably 4-5lbs. But that’s a normal weight for a non competition gun. So I wouldn’t be to worried about a series 80 trigger. Sorry I don’t have any experience with the brand you’re asking about. 

6 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

You know I’ve always heard the series 80s triggers aren’t very good. But yesterday at my LGS I handled a kimber full size 1911 in 45acp and the trigger was very nice, super crisp break, little to no take up and minimal over travel. It was a bit heavy for me, probably 4-5lbs. But that’s a normal weight for a non competition gun. So I wouldn’t be to worried about a series 80 trigger. Sorry I don’t have any experience with the brand you’re asking about. 

The Kimber pistols don't use a Series 80 firing pin block, they have a Swartz style safety activated off the grip safety. The trigger pull isn't affected like a series 80 gun is.

I have handled exactly one Tisas gun and wasn't terribly impressed. But if you're in a budget, it may be good enough.

• 1 month later...

Necroposting in an old thread but others may use the search function and find this so...

I've had a few of these come through for work. One was picky about magazines and needed some tuning, another was only in for a trigger job and accurizing. Some areas are better finished than you'd expect, other areas less so. Triggers are stupidly heavy, 7.5-8.5 pounds. Once you throw away the lawyer-inspired series 80 crap and polish the internals a bit, the trigger isn't bad.

For the price, they're not terrible. But for a tiny bit more money you can get more gun. Think Rock Island Armory's cheaper options.

Or just bite the bullet and pay what most would consider to actually be the cheap end of 1911's that are worth buying and spend $700-850. The only reason to buy anything cheaper is because you either simply have no more money or you plan on customizing the crap out of it and half the parts are going in the garbage anyway.

Or be smart and cruise your local shops and the forums here for a gently used Range Officer, SR1911 or the like. Those are currently in the $700-850 range when new and you'll be happier with a used one of those than a new Tisas.