Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Baldwin

Am I too old?

Recommended Posts

I started when I was 44 and am now 63. I have out of it for 5 years but am starting to compete again and still love it. You really are competing against yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chrisa006 said:

I started when I was 44 and am now 63. I have out of it for 5 years but am starting to compete again and still love it. You really are competing against yourself!

 Always against yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob Leatham is 58 and he just placed 3rd at Single Stack Nationals.  He was even wearing combat boots instead of cleats since they provide better ankle support.  If you're not shooting the hi-cap divisions, shooting ability matters a lot more than movement speed.  You'll be just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be 63 at the end of this year. I've been a USPSA member for nearly 26 years. Been shooting Production after starting out in Limited (I can still see the sights despite presbyopia - search for threads about "monovision" correction). I still beat "kids" half my age and commonly finish in the top ten in my division and in the upper third overall in our 120 competitor club matches. I have very slowly but steadily gotten better over time, not worse. And have no doubt that, if my body holds up, I'll continue to improve if I put in the work.

 

I'm convinced my longevity and performance in the sport is due to the fact that I just love shooting action pistol. I like to see improvement, but winning or beating others was never something that was important to me. 

 

So, for the OP, if fun is what you want, or the challenge of developing a skill that isn't largely dependent on the strength, speed and reflexes of youth, then go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit 70 last month. Switching to PCC with a 40 round magazine, an Aimpoint and 3 points of contact has me really enthusiastic about USPSA again. My movement and foot speed have improved dramatically.

After 25 years of USPSA I totally look forward to each match again as a competitor.

Nope, I am competing against others. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a local steel match. We do 2 a month and most just do it for fun. No running around so if your worried about being sower that should not be a problem. Ours are pretty much shoot what you got. There is a guy that still comes out and shoots steel and USPSA that is 93. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve got a couple super seniors locally and they run some crazy good stages.  The only concession some of them make to age is running CO or Open guns because they can’t see the sights and the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too old at all! You will see lots of guys your age at local matches. While some are just out to having a good time, others are just flat competing very well. Give it a go! There are soo many different division and equipment options that there has to be a spot where you can thrive. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe old man Miculek is doing pretty OK now at the IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, Baldwin said:

New forum member.  I'm a member of a bunch of forums but this has become my favorite.  Question:

 

I'm 65 years old and took up handguns/reloading about two years ago and the wife says I'm obsessed.  I hurt all over when I get up in the morning,  my hand/eye coordination is not as good as it once was, and my vision sucks but I still have my competitive nature.  I would like to take up some form of competitive shooting but I don't want to embarrass myself.  I'm about to retire so I will have a ton of time for shooting and training.  Would it be a waste of time?  Am I too old to get involved in competition?  Honest answers please.  Thanks in advance.

You are never to old if your enjoying yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, Keepkool said:

You are never to old if your enjoying yourself.

 

THIS!  I love that others have mentioned that they are now BACK into being enthusiastic about USPSA, because of newer divisions being more friendly towards sight-challenged seniors!!

 

On 7/3/2019 at 5:50 AM, p7fl said:

I hit 70 last month. Switching to PCC with a 40 round magazine, an Aimpoint and 3 points of contact has me really enthusiastic about USPSA again. My movement and foot speed have improved dramatically.

After 25 years of USPSA I totally look forward to each match again as a competitor.

Nope, I am competing against others. 🙂

 

I'll always make fun of PCCers for bringing a carbine to a pistol match, but I'm also all for it because of everyone having fun. It's ok to have mixed opinions! We don't have to be TO or AGAINST it. We can see the pros and cons of everything, because, ultimately, that is always the more accurate way of developing perspective. And healthy!

 

On 12/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, Baldwin said:

New forum member.  I'm a member of a bunch of forums but this has become my favorite.  Question:

 

I'm 65 years old and took up handguns/reloading about two years ago and the wife says I'm obsessed.  I hurt all over when I get up in the morning,  my hand/eye coordination is not as good as it once was, and my vision sucks but I still have my competitive nature.  I would like to take up some form of competitive shooting but I don't want to embarrass myself.  I'm about to retire so I will have a ton of time for shooting and training.  Would it be a waste of time?  Am I too old to get involved in competition?  Honest answers please.  Thanks in advance.

 

NO, you are NOT tool old. Of COURSE not. That isn't even on the table. We all compete with people we are 80yrs or older in Highpower, etc.

 

If you love to reload and be accurate at it, I highly recommend not only looking into USPSA but also Bullseye shooting, Highpower, and Hunter Pistol Silhouette!  :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of positive thoughts.  I am 70 and have been shooting competition since 1979.

I love to compete and have switched to Minor in Single Stack & Production.  Every now

and then I will win high Super Senior.  But, I just love to practice and shoot matches.

As they say, your age is just a number.  Stay in the best shape you can and like Clint

says "a man's got to know his limitations".  As we get older we have aches and pains,

but those should not define who we are and how we shoot.  I loved the video of the 90

year old shooting a couple of stages.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 78 and returned to Practical Shooting 2 months ago after a five year hiatus.  I practiced a little and ran my 1st Steel Match the end of July.

I found out I couldn't hold on to my G34 like I used to. Physical conditioning was a must for me. Not just hand strength  but  arms and shoulders as well.  I have Scoliosis in my lower spine,  so  I had plenty of pain from picking up brass, setting targets, and running a  loaded gunbelt around.

So a exercise & stretching routine became a necessity, everyday and stretching especially after a match became a must.

As eye sight goes my regular progressive lenses or ordinary eyeprotection didnt work well , but useing1.25 reading glasses solved my seeing problem. All these problems make it difficult for a Super Senior when they start shooting. But there not insurmountable. Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep working at it and  you'll see things will get better. Good luck in your shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mtwain56 said:

I'm 78 and returned to Practical Shooting 2 months ago after a five year hiatus.  I practiced a little and ran my 1st Steel Match the end of July.

I found out I couldn't hold on to my G34 like I used to. Physical conditioning was a must for me. Not just hand strength  but  arms and shoulders as well.  I have Scoliosis in my lower spine,  so  I had plenty of pain from picking up brass, setting targets, and running a  loaded gunbelt around.

So a exercise & stretching routine became a necessity, everyday and stretching especially after a match became a must.

As eye sight goes my regular progressive lenses or ordinary eyeprotection didnt work well , but useing1.25 reading glasses solved my seeing problem. All these problems make it difficult for a Super Senior when they start shooting. But there not insurmountable. Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep working at it and  you'll see things will get better. Good luck in your shooting.

 

Hory crepes you are seriously my hero. My hat is off to you, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the exercise and stretching can help in other facets of life too.

Many "more mature" people seem to go for Carry Optics / Production Optics where the optical sight helps with seeing. Others persevere with open sights finding glasses that let them see. My eyes, at 55, are still OK without using lenses specifically meant for shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...