Am I too old?

Baldwin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

You are only as old as you allow yourself to be. Age doesn't have to be a factor in our sport... There are plenty of people with handicaps. The key is having a desire to get up and get outside, and participate in something you love with like minded people. A competitive spirt won't hurt and might encourage you to overcome the things that constrain you. As far as deteriorating eyesight goes... God created the "Red Dot" for those that can't see iron sights anymore...

On 12/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, Baldwin said:

New forum member.  I'm a member of a bunch of forums but this has become my favorite.  Question:

I'm 65 years old and took up handguns/reloading about two years ago and the wife says I'm obsessed.  I hurt all over when I get up in the morning,  my hand/eye coordination is not as good as it once was, and my vision sucks but I still have my competitive nature.  I would like to take up some form of competitive shooting but I don't want to embarrass myself.  I'm about to retire so I will have a ton of time for shooting and training.  Would it be a waste of time?  Am I too old to get involved in competition?  Honest answers please.  Thanks in advance.

No.

You aren't.

I shoot with many 60+ yr olds. They all have a great time and are very laid back.

You are never too old < this saying is almost always true. You are your zen's biggest limiting factor.

Set it free.

p.s. Don't forget to have fun, that is super important. Don't be too critical of yourself :)

Like the OP, I came to this sport late in life. Like the OP, I ache in the morning, can't see too good, and since I've had a tussle with the Big C, my bod's been carved, radiated, and injected with toxic chemicals. But for some reason, this sport gets me going. It's probably the adrenaline rush of running a stage. Am I ever going to win? No, I'm starting to doubt I'm even going to make it out of D class. But I'm still getting out there. BTW, I've seen guys a whole lot older than you and me who need a cane to walk between stages, but there out there slinging lead.

2 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Like the OP, I came to this sport late in life. Like the OP, I ache in the morning, can't see too good, and since I've had a tussle with the Big C, my bod's been carved, radiated, and injected with toxic chemicals. But for some reason, this sport gets me going. It's probably the adrenaline rush of running a stage. Am I ever going to win? No, I'm starting to doubt I'm even going to make it out of D class. But I'm still getting out there. BTW, I've seen guys a whole lot older than you and me who need a cane to walk between stages, but there out there slinging lead.

Hats off to you.

You are already winning by making it possible to enact one of your passions.

Many, much younger and older, do not have the enabling mental capability that you do. How many wannabe tough dudes do we all know that are too chicken to come out and shoot because of their weak mindsets that fear their own cowardice?

Ah, but it isn't a dig that I wanted to convey, but a kudos.  Kudos to you, sir. Take pride in your achievements that cannot be seen on paper or practiscore. Relish your clean trigger breaks. Savor the sight if gunsmoke in the brisk, morning air. Realize that you have, and you shall.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:37 AM, Baldwin said:

New forum member.  I'm a member of a bunch of forums but this has become my favorite.  Question:

I'm 65 years old and took up handguns/reloading about two years ago and the wife says I'm obsessed.  I hurt all over when I get up in the morning,  my hand/eye coordination is not as good as it once was, and my vision sucks but I still have my competitive nature.  I would like to take up some form of competitive shooting but I don't want to embarrass myself.  I'm about to retire so I will have a ton of time for shooting and training.  Would it be a waste of time?  Am I too old to get involved in competition?  Honest answers please.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, way too old. Hang it up and write me a check for all your money👍😂. Address to follow ...

Just kidding!  I’m 66 and just tried my first competition. I sucked. But I had a great time and met some good guys. Now I’m dry firing to get used to my Trijicon optic on my G17C and next time I’ll suck less, then next I’ll suck even lesser until I don’t suck anymore. At least I hope so😉

You’re not too old. We have a guy in our club that just turned 80 a couple of days ago. He shoots an MPX for PCC. He’s very accurate but due to old age, he’s not as quick as others considering his age and physical condition.

I’ll be 52 next month. I started about six months ago in production shooting my shadow 2. In my first match, it had been raining the previous day and the bays were muddy and slippery. I slipped and fell to the ground hard. I was able to brace myself with my gun and due to the impact, the basepad came out flying along with the bullets. Only the magazine tube was left in the gun. I got up, change mags and continued the cof. I was so nervous but lucky not to have my trigger finger on the trigger or else it could had been worse. One of the guys who does video for the club had it all videotaped and posted on the clubs fb. 

I had been shooting since then and do more dryfiring to improve. I also met a lot of good guys who had given me tips along the way. It’s been fun. My wife is very supportive and let’s me use the formal dining room wall to put up my Dry Fire targets as long as I take them off if there’s a party in the house.

Just go out there and have some fun. Be safe and enjoy the camaraderie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, Baldwin said:

I did retire the end of the year. I'm able to shoot in the backyard but I've also joined a local range.  I'm shooting about 200 to 300 rounds 4 or 5 times a week.  I've been doing a lot of training using drills of seen on this forum and other internet sources.  I don't know how good I can get, but I'm having a lot of fun.  I really appreciate everyone's input and encouragement.  One thing I've learned about handguns and reloading is that both activities draw good people who are very helpful.

P. S.  While taking up this new activity has made my age painfully obvious, my 41 year old wife is keeping me young in most other areas.😉

1 hour ago, Baldwin said:

P. S.  While taking up this new activity has made my age painfully obvious, my 41 year old wife is keeping me young in most other areas.😉

YOU DOG.  Now you're just showin off! XD

Congrats...I think...

On 12/11/2018 at 1:41 PM, Postal Bob said:

We had a guy who occasionally shot USPSA at our local matches, and was almost 90 yrs old. He might have moved slowly target to target, but he would almost shoot all A's. And he never came in last.  He was a WWII vet, and we were always honored to see him come down and shoot.

Shoot at a pace comfortable for you, and enjoy it.

Holy s#!t that is SO full of win!  That's what I want to be like in 30 years.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, Baldwin said:

Late to the game here but enjoy it. The guys are the great part of this sport. I shot when I was younger then took time off for my family now I'm back in the game. I'm not as fast and dang sure can't run lie I could. But every match I have a good time and learn something.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, parabat said:

Im 33 and i feel like im a late starter already, in very competitive, do i still have a shot age wise at getting to the top? Or did all the top dogs start in childhood and is it impossible to get to that level at my age?

Depends on what you define as top. JJ and Eric started as kids.

Some have insane natural ability and might not need the early age advantage, but of you speak to sports trainers, they might tell you it has its perks.

It all depends. 

If you will only play if you can get to the top, you are probably missing most of the fun staring at the sky.

1 minute ago, blueorison said:

Depends on what you define as top. JJ and Eric started as kids.

Some have insane natural ability and might not need the early age advantage, but of you speak to sports trainers, they might tell you it has its perks.

It all depends. 

If you will only play if you can get to the top, you are probably missing most of the fun staring at the sky.

Thanks, im having great fun doing it, i just wish i discovered it 15 years earlier..

I know its highly unlikely ill get as good as any of those guys, but for peace of mind i would just like to know if its possible at my age or if im just to late..

Its hard to find ages of current top shooters or at what ages they started..heard of people making GM in a year but i can never find at what ages they started

3 minutes ago, parabat said:

Thanks, im having great fun doing it, i just wish i discovered it 15 years earlier..

I know its highly unlikely ill get as good as any of those guys, but for peace of mind i would just like to know if its possible at my age or if im just to late..

Its hard to find ages of current top shooters or at what ages they started..heard of people making GM in a year but i can never find at what ages they started

Ah, yes. 33 is young. GM in a year is not rare at your age, AT ALL.  :) hope that serves as encouragement!

Also there are many paper GMs as all you have to do is practice the classifiers over and over again and many pay to reshoot them at a match, itself. So, you have a LOT of leeway ;)

6 minutes ago, blueorison said:

Ah, yes. 33 is young. GM in a year is not rare at your age, AT ALL.  :) hope that serves as encouragement!

Also there are many paper GMs as all you have to do is practice the classifiers over and over again and many pay to reshoot them at a match, itself. So, you have a LOT of leeway ;)

Thanks, thats definitely an encouragement!  Ill just go for it and make sure to keep fun the most important instead of staring at the sky. Thanks,

On 2/21/2019 at 10:32 AM, Mcfoto said:

Thanks for your comments.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, DixieBushcraft said:

You are too old when you cannot manage to physically do it any more at all.....  or when they close the lid of your box. 

I hear up there in the clouds they have ROs who dont +2 you...

; D