Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chair Bound Dry Fire Question

Winny

So I've run into somewhat of a set back in my shooting and looking for some advice on a dry fire program that revolves around a recliner.  It seems while coaching my daughters bball team I caused some damage to my calf and a neighboring ligament, so I'm kind of bound to a recliner for a bit.  I have a pretty decent dry fire program and live fire program I follow when I'm well and when life permits.  I'm wondering if anyone here has been chair bound for an extended period of time and what drills they found were doable or worked for them.  I'm getting plenty of trigger work in freestyle, and both strong and support hand, but I'm wanting something more dynamic.  

Thanks in advance.

Years ago I got laid up for a while.  My wife was good about moving around dry fire targets in different locations to give me variety.

One thing I got good at was table starts and reloads with mags placed on a table.  Due to bad knees, I still prefer to stay seated  when the start position is a chair.  I credit that dryfiring to my comfort with shooting while seated.

Ben Stoeger has some 1/3 and 1/6 size targets (IPSC, plate racks, etc.)  that I find useful for this very purpose. You can certainly practice fast transitions with the upper body without using your legs :) If you have a SIRT/laster pistol, dot drills for accuracy (e.g. Travis Haley Venti 100) are also possible.