Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety

jstagn

For those shooters that are using a wide or extra wide thumb safety for their strong side thumb, are you using the same size for the weak hand thumb, how does this affect when shooting weak hand only?

I just finished installing a wide, strong hand (left side) safety only and removing my ambi safety.  For me this provides a better grip/hold on the gun.  If you're shooting USPSA, you will never have to start a stage with the pistol in your weak hand, so no real need to have a safety on the weak side.

21 hours ago, jstagn said:

Thanks, could you elaborate on what problems a wide on weak side would cause

For my regular right handed hold a wide, or even just the standard, safety cuts into my index finger joint, so I put standard one there, but then grind it off to some degree.  The standard safety has square corner in the back, closer to the hammer, and I make it tapered. 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:31 PM, jstagn said:

Thanks, could you elaborate on what problems a wide on weak side would cause

Someone that has a big hand like me, my index finger joint,  hits the safety and it feels like someone is hitting my joint with a hammer and punch. Someone with a small hand may not have that issue. I have the EGW ambi safety and both sides are wide. I need to get the one side cut down.