Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open 9 major for steel?

jakfrost1

I have been shooting my 2 DVC 9mm Major Open pistols ( primary/backup ) for a couple of years now, and very happy with their performance as they seem to be the right tool for my IPSC/USPSA matches, at a price point my back account can bear. However the proliferation of ‘Steel Challenge’ matches, ( I know, I put on 3 at my home club last season myself...), has me thinking I should perhaps consider something more dedicated to the ‘Steel Match’ requirements, besides 9 Major. 

I know STI makes a nice ‘Steel Master’ which would probably fill the bill, but the bill is what I am fretting over, having retired 6 months ago, the true cost of this ‘recreational sport’ is becoming more apparent with each passing ‘paycheck-less’ month, haha. 

So...my question, anyone have a suggestion as to how I could shoot reasonable ‘Steel Match’ loads reliably thru one of my DVC’s? There is no PF requirement other than to ‘ring the steel’....

Just ‘re-spring’ until it functions? I know the comp wouldn’t work well, if at all, at the reduced loads with the 5.40” barrel vs the 4.15” steel master’s tube, but other than that? 

Maybe just look for an inexpensive dedicated ‘Steel gun’? 

Jim

DVC, NRA, USPSA, CSSA 

CHC ISPC Club Rep

Hello: Use 95 grain 380 bullets and HS-6 powder giving 130-140PF loads. I use a 8 lb ISMI recoil spring. You could try Auto Comp or some other powder that will give you cheaper reloads. Another option would be to use a single stack 1911 and install a comp and dot. Thanks, Eric

I use my open gun for steel challenge but it is a light one rather than the heavier guns popular, now.   I experimented a lot with different loads.  I found that running at 155 PF with 3N37 and a 115 g bullet gave the best recoil impulse for steel challenge stages.

I have both, the 9mm open SVI and the Sti Steel Master.  the Steel master was built for minor loads, and really functions well.  So smooth, its like shooting a 22.  I have run 124 gn Precision Delta jacketed bullet with 3.8 gn of IMR red dot and even my 11 yr old Daughter has an easy time controlling..