Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm mag/slide stop issues

Msnthrp451

Went to the range today with my 10mm stock 1... at the end of a string the slide locked back but the magazine would not drop....after some WTF moments I found that the mag follower had jumped past the slide stop/release locking it up...and only by shoving down on the follower could I get things back in order. Im not sure if the follower is the culprit or the Slide stop. One mag consistently does it (Aha, So its that mag!)....but wait! one other mag will do it every 4th or 5th time... the gun has about 1k rounds through it and I don't know where to start.. Mags are the Mec Gar 14 rd which I load to 13 to keep them from expanding. I don't mind so much replacing whatever is causing the issue but I hate chasing something that appears inconsistently.

If it's just a matter of replacing the follower..thats the least expensive route...then will a .40 follower work or is this 10mm specific?

Open to any ideas...suggestions?

Seems to be confined to 1 mag for sure and the second one again once every 4th or 5th time.. I ordered 2 new 10mm specific Grams Engineering springs and followers to see if that might solve the issue...

To Polymer- I did have 2 premature slidelock engagement issues today at the range....I will take a hard look at the stop to see if and where its making contact..I shoot Lefty and don't have the issues of bumping the stop so at least I can rule that out.. later in the session I had a couple of FTRB but that was after 150 rounds of MagTech..I pullled the slide and wiped the feedramp off....that is some nasty dirty ammo...Then fired 50 rounds of some warm reloads without further issues...

Will post updates as I narrow down the list

Edited by Msnthrp451
added txt

Good question, but no, none of the mags have been dropped or damaged Afaik.

Got the GE followers and springs installed. The followers are steel and definitely shaped differently from the stock plastic ones... I won't be back to the range to try them until after the first of the year. Will post the results and hope the problem is solved..

• 3 weeks later...

Update- Finally got a chance to test out the Stock 1 mags with the Grams Engineering Springs and followers... worked thru 200 rds with zero issues on slidelock.. Ordered 4 more to re-fit my other mags.

Two thumbs up for Grams Engineering products.