Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I’m in the market for a laptop.

I need a laptop and I’m by far savvy when it comes to computers. All I need it for is to browse the internet and maybe do sketch up. What do y’all recommend ? I’m game for Microsoft or apple or whatever will work pretty fast. 

It may come down to how portable it needs to be.  Bigger screens equal heavier, harder to lug around.  What factor is cost?

Dell and Lenovo seem popular, maybe along with HPO, though I've been told (don't know for certain) that HP may use their own cable instead of a standard USB.  (Doesn't make sense to me that they would do that, but …)

A Chromebook may be fine for web browsing, and ius low cost, but I don't know about Sketchup.

After getting a virus on my p.c. few years ago, I thought I'd "get smart" and buy an Apple.     :surprise:

You can buy three p.c. laptops for the price of a single Apple/Mac.

Stick with a P.C.   -   they're all the same, just different sizes, weights and prices.     :) 

Dell XPS is a good choice if you’re going windows.

The new MacBook Air is probably the best Mac laptop right now.

Me personally though... I like the bang for the buck with the Xiaomi MiBook Pro or Huawei Matebook X Pro... but you’re on your own for support.  

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

After getting a virus on my p.c. few years ago, I thought I'd "get smart" and buy an Apple.     :surprise:

You can buy three p.c. laptops for the price of a single Apple/Mac.

Stick with a P.C.   -   they're all the same, just different sizes, weights and prices.     :) 

While this may be  true, we replace our Dell lap tops every three years at work.  This iMac I'm typing on right now is 10 years old and still going strong.  I'd love to have a new one for $1600 to  work better with my GoPro Hero7, but I can't justify getting rid of this one.  

Apple all the way.

Not to derail this thread

my wife is looking a new laptop also,  the question I have is do we take advantage of the Christmas sales or wait to the 2019 models come out

the minimum specs I’m looking at is windows, 16 g of ram and a 512 ssd 

also We’ve had a HP and a Lenovo laptops and both were crap, any brands to stay away from

The Christmas sales are ususally pretty good.  Or back to school sales.

all the major brands make good and crap.  Stay away from the ‘consumer’ line.

personally, I really like my Lenovo laptops I’ve had in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Dell XPS or a Lenovo T series are both solid bets.  I hate paying the Apple tax...otherwise just about any of their offerings...but they have been plagued with some keyboard issues lately.  I would wait on the new generation to be out a bit longer to see if that has been resolved.