Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can convert my 9mm limited to open?

sandflea316

26 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Why not sell it and buy an open gun?  It seems like a shame to chop up a nice limited gun?

a couple of reasons; I like the grip/ trigger set up.  No guarantee a future gun can match that.  

also the serial number is my initials so I'd like to keep that.

I originally had SV build it for 3 gun.  Now 3 gun died out in my area and I don't shoot limited minor.

I want to put it to use rather than sit in safe 

The easiest way to turn your gun into an Open gun is to have a local gunsmith turn down your bull ball and thread it for a cone and comp, or a coned comp.  You will also need the front of the slide trimmed to a 1 degree angle.   Then you can decide how much slide lightening you want to do.

Alternately you could buy a 6" bushing barrel from Clark Custom.  They start the bushing diameter at the 5" barrel mark and extend it all the way to 6".  So you have a lot of meat to work with.

5 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

a couple of reasons; I like the grip/ trigger set up.  No guarantee a future gun can match that.  

also the serial number is my initials so I'd like to keep that.

I originally had SV build it for 3 gun.  Now 3 gun died out in my area and I don't shoot limited minor.

I want to put it to use rather than sit in safe 

Is it a full dust cover or Butler cut?

22 hours ago, zzt said:

The easiest way to turn your gun into an Open gun is to have a local gunsmith turn down your bull ball and thread it for a cone and comp, or a coned comp.  You will also need the front of the slide trimmed to a 1 degree angle.   Then you can decide how much slide lightening you want to do.

Alternately you could buy a 6" bushing barrel from Clark Custom.  They start the bushing diameter at the 5" barrel mark and extend it all the way to 6".  So you have a lot of meat to work with.

would it be easier to get a top end made?

Probably. Issue is gonna be that a whole new top end is expensive. Might end up costing you near 2k, once you include the fitting, lightening, parts, coating, drilling the frame for a scope mount, and a dot.

Depending on the build and amount of use, it might just be more fiscally wise to sell that gun and get an open gun built. I totally get the personal aspect though of it having your name, but SVs tend to hold their value pretty well on here. Just a thought.

Where are  you located?  PM is you want.

In my simple mind you need a comp on the end of a barrel (200-300$?), then figure out what optic you want to use on it; which means holes in the frame or milling on the slide.

Dan B builds great guns.  My friend has had four of them. 

I have had 5 SVs so I am bias. First I would not have a local guy do it.  I would suggest Kodiak Precision or EMG if you are out west of the big river.

SV is backlogged so I doubt they can get to it.

12 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Where are  you located?  PM is you want.

In my simple mind you need a comp on the end of a barrel (200-300$?), then figure out what optic you want to use on it; which means holes in the frame or milling on the slide.

Dan B builds great guns.  My friend has had four of them. 

I have had 5 SVs so I am bias. First I would not have a local guy do it.  I would suggest Kodiak Precision or EMG if you are out west of the big river.

SV is backlogged so I doubt they can get to it.

Dan Bedell responded to my email inquiry.  Wants me to call him during the week and discuss.  I'll contact the two mention as well to see what they can do.

I wish SV can do it but I really don't want to wait a year.  Also I don't think they do 9mm open anymore? 

17 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

No.  There is a lot more fitting required for a complete new top end.  Also a lot more expense.  Since you are not sure you will like Open, the very safest way to approach it is to buy a new barrel and put a cone and comp on it.  The only initial adjustment to your gun would be facing the slide at a 1 degree angle.  Then, if you don't like Open you can put the original barrel back in and you are good to go.  I would not have your frame drilled for a frame mount until after you are sure you like Open and want to stay with it.  Use a dovetail adapter and mount the sight on it.  It will work fine.  Later, if you stay in Open, you can have the frame drilled (or not) and the slide lightened.

Alternately, you can buy a used Open gun and try that.  Then if you decide not to stay in Open, you sell it for all or most of what you paid for it.  I tried a new top end on a TS and was not happy with the result.  A 2011 is much easier.   You have a very nice pistol, so I would not do anything to it that was not reverseable.  That's why I suggest a new barrel or a used gun.  I went the used gun route, and again for a backup.  After two seasons with them, I now know (or at least think so) what I want in the two new guns I'm building.

Hello: Don't cut the slide for the 1 degree angle just have the distance between the comp and slide a little bigger, like 0.010-0.015". I think a better route would be to buy a open pistol to test the waters. After you decide you like then keep shooting that for a year until you decide what you like in a open pistol. I am sure you can sell the SVI pistol and buy a real custom open pistol from another company and have enough left over for a reloader. SVI sell real well around here. Thanks, Eric

I think your crazy to cut up a SVI!!  Is your a Sight Tracker?  If so don't do it.  buy an open gun.  the amount of work to turn your limited gun into a functional open gun is too much.  If you really like your trigger, a competent gunsmith can get your trigger pull to feel however you want.  That SVI limited gun has two much value to chop up, don't do it.