Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 DA pull - anything else I can do?

archangel

I have a new Shadow 2, in which I just installed the CGW S2 kit, as well as the S2 Reduced Reach Kit.  Using the 11.5# hammer spring.  

I polished the internals (twice, actually) based on the "CZ Tuning with Professor Atlas" thread, as well as schmecky's thread on smoothing the action on the the czfireams forum.  I even polished all the pins and pin holes, the trigger bar lifter spring, the inside and outside of the hammer spring, etc.  (Pics of some of the polished parts attached for reference)

SA pull is very nice, at ~ 2.75#.  The DA pull is... 7.75#.  It's very smooth, and I could certainly live with it.  I don't really want to go with a lighter hammer spring and risk ignition problems, but I'm seeing guys using the same springs getting ~5.5#

What am I missing that's making my trigger 40% heavier than them?

1202182141.jpg

1202182142.jpg

I hope you didn’t polish that sear beyond the hardened finish.  It can cause hammer follow.  

Your original post says you polish the trigger bar spring already, but you can also manipulate the tension the spring puts on the bar a little bit. Not too much though, you want to make sure the DA resets reliably. 

It's a CGW "super hard" sear, so I would hope that it's hardened deeper than the finish.  In any case, I didn't do anything to the sear nose that engages the hammer hooks, mainly just the surface that the hammer drags on as it cocks.

Likewise on the hammer, I didn't mess with the hooks themselves, just the flats above the hooks where the sear drags.

I did adjust the lifter spring per CGW's specs.  Left side - just enough tension to stay in the groove. Right side - about 1/8" above the bottom of the trigger bar.

Had the same annoyance with my SP-01.  I get 7+ lbs DA with an 11.5lb mainspring, when everyone else seems to get 6.5lbs and less.  It may be just the luck of the draw.  By the way that is a SWEET hammer strut you got there.  How did you polish it and get it so rounded?

Edited by Sniperboy

Lol.  The picture makes it look round, but it's really not.  There's still black finish on the top flat.

I polished with 800/1000/1500/2000 grit wet / dry sandpaper, wet with wd40, followed with flitz on a felt wheel.  The strut got a lot more time with the 800 than anything else, and probably could have taken some more aggressive grit.  The stamping was pretty rough.  All the other parts, it was just a couple swipes with 800 to get things started before switching to the finer grits.  

You may be right about the "luck of the draw" thing.  Now that i think of it, I did get a deal on this gun because it was "Blemished."  Never could find any blemishes on it.  Maybe the DA pull is the the blem...  🤨

If you are bored and have a few beers you want to put away on a lazy Sunday afternoon, try temporarily replacing your CGW hammer with your stock hammer (you can use your old disco as well - for this purpose I kept my old hammer, disco and strut in together). 

(I know hammering out the hammer strut is a pain in the ass if you did not buy a spare strut)...

I've tried this myself but I am curious as to what your results are.  My DA pull went down when I played musical chairs and temporarily put my OEM hammer back...  so I just accepted it.  I would accept a super crisp SA for maybe a heavier DA.

Almost 8lbs seems a bit heavy. I might try messing with the lifter spring again. It’s very critical you get it right though. Maybe try having equal pressure on each side but reduce what you have a smidge. 5 lbs seems light with an 11.5 lb hammer spring  but I use an 8.5 with a large stash of federal primers. 

I may play around with the stock hammer and / or remove the RRK, and see what that does - after I replace the punch I broke driving out the hammer pins last time.  I'll have some time on the range tomorrow for the first time since installing the upgrades.  Depending on how it feels in live fire, I may just live with it.  

The location on the trigger shoe and the angle you pull the trigger gauge back does have an impact on the trigger pull weight.  Getting lower on the shoe and angling the gauge downwards instead of pulling straight back does give an illusion of a lighter break.  Just be consistent.

There is definitely a practical side of just dealing with the pull, but there is enjoyment to be had in tinkering which is a hobby in itself.  I think you can enjoy both just as long as you don't let chasing numbers really get you down, or get you trapped in analysis paralysis : ).

Im not sure why the high numbers.

I did light polishing and some stoning with the light trigger return spring , 11.5 hammer spring , cgw extended firing pin.

CZC hammer gets me 4lb 12oz da and 1lb 12oz sa

Original shadow 2 hammer 5lb 2oz da and 2lb sa

Pull weight done with a lyman electronic gauge with 5 pull average.

Sets off winchester primers.

8 hours ago, lfine said:

I used the stock hammer even though I ordered the Reach reduction kit and only used the trigger because after I stopped there I had a great DA.  Polished, worked with my springs and I'm at a very low 3s for my DA and 2 for SA. And that's on a lyman.

I have to say that is the lowest I have ever heard a DA pull can be - low 3s?!  Wow...  are you sure that is not just an 8.5 lb hammer spring cut in HALF?!? ; ) 

10 hours ago, je85 said:

Im not sure why the high numbers.

I did light polishing and some stoning with the light trigger return spring , 11.5 hammer spring , cgw extended firing pin.

CZC hammer gets me 4lb 12oz da and 1lb 12oz sa

Original shadow 2 hammer 5lb 2oz da and 2lb sa

Pull weight done with a lyman electronic gauge with 5 pull average.

Sets off winchester primers.

Now that is just cruel.  "Light polishing", those are fantastic numbers especially with an 11.5 lb spring.

Edited by Sniperboy

23 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

I have to say that is the lowest I have ever heard a DA pull can be - low 3s?!  Wow...  are you sure that is not just an 8.5 lb hammer spring cut in HALF?!? ; ) 

Now that is just cruel.  "Light polishing", those are fantastic numbers especially with an 11.5 lb spring.

I'm in the mid 3s da and 1lb 2oz sa with a uncut 8.5lb.

The sa was too light for my liking.

Update - 

Little less than 200 rounds of live fire and a bunch of dry fire later, and after replacing my "theoretically sound but still kinda redneck" improvised measuring system with an actual Lyman gauge, it is now registering an average of 5# flat DA, and a hair under 2# SA. 

Edited by archangel

Man were you tying jugs of water to a string to your trigger?? ; )

Good to hear you got that gremlin knocked loose from the machine, and quickly.  That would have been annoying if it persisted.  Your new numbers look great!