Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred 9mm plated bullet?

NateTSU

I've had good luck with both Rainier and Xtreme.  I have 3 GSSF wins with my G22 and Ranier, and my current MPX PCC runs Xtreme 124 and 147 round nose very well with very good groupings, with both TG and N320.

I'm sure there are other good plated bullets.  This is just my experience.

12 minutes ago, Ofishl1 said:

extreme and PD...tryimg some RMRs I just received soon.

To be clear, PDs are not plated. Rather, they are true jacketed bullets unlike Xtreme. 

I’d skip plated, and either find a coated bullet that works for you (if you are penny pinching), or just stick to jacketed. 

A question like this gets a sound off -- "I use ___________________"  It will produce the same list of choices you're already looking at.

So when you are done, your choices are going to be Berry's, Ranier, Xtreme, and RMR.  Same list you started with.

You will not get performance as good as you will from FMJ, and you can get Precision Delta 124gr FMJ-RN for 8.9 cents per bullet shipped when you buy 2000 or more.  Just get FMJ.

3 hours ago, IDescribe said:

A question like this gets a sound off -- "I use ___________________"  It will produce the same list of choices you're already looking at.

So when you are done, your choices are going to be Berry's, Ranier, Xtreme, and RMR.  Same list you started with.

You will not get performance as good as you will from FMJ, and you can get Precision Delta 124gr FMJ-RN for 8.9 cents per bullet shipped when you buy 2000 or more.  Just get FMJ.

8.8 cents... but who's counting? 😂

But really, sign up for the PD newsletter, as there are deals almost every week.  

12 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

To be clear, PDs are not plated. Rather, they are true jacketed bullets unlike Xtreme. 

I’d skip plated, and either find a coated bullet that works for you (if you are penny pinching), or just stick to jacketed. 

Hey guys to clarify I am using 125 SNS coated and i am gritting some leading in my barrel and comp. Load functions great and is accurate enough for what I'm doing but I want to eliminate the leading. 

9 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

unless you are getting a great deal on plated bullets , i would go with a FMJ. i looked at the extreme web site and the plated are more expensive than PD 124 when bought in 2k .   

Thanks, I will check out Precision Delta. 

I shot many thousands of rounds of RMR plated 124gr RN through my Open gun. Fairly accurate, didn't leave any leading or deposits in the barrel or comp. And when there's a sale going on, you can often get them for ~8.1cpr.

Edited by Xanatos903

Xtreme 135 RNFP in Open Major. Even though the company is in Chapter 11, I still buy from them. Shipping is $10 @ 1,000. Tried many, many other brands. Always come back to these, because of the accuracy. Ragged hole at 25 yards.

15 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i would go with a FMJ. i looked at the extreme web site and the plated are more expensive than PD 124 when bought in 2k .   

Why do you and IDescribe want to slowly fill his compensator with lead off the exposed base of an FMJ bullet? Why do you hate him? What did he ever do to you? 

10 hours ago, IDescribe said:

You will not get performance as good as you will from FMJ. Just get FMJ.

Yes you will. I get it; I talked trash about plated bullets for years too. Turns out, you just have to buy a better plated bullet than Berrys & Extreme... and tune your load to your barrel.

This is 8 shots. Not five. I have full faith that if I’d done my part I wouldn’t have pulled the bottom three shots low:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

59 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Why do you and IDescribe want to slowly fill his compensator with lead off the exposed base of an FMJ bullet? Why do you hate him? What did he ever do to you? 

Yes you will. I get it; I talked trash about plated bullets for years too. Turns out, you just have to buy a better plated bullet than Berrys & Extreme... and tune your load to your barrel.

This is 8 shots. Not five. I have full faith that if I’d done my part I wouldn’t have pulled the bottom three shots low:

That's not that good of a group if it's from a PCC and only 21 yd. 

Xtreme are plenty accurate. So are Berry. I haven't tried any others. 

Plated bullets are plenty accurate. I believe anyone saying different is the problem not the bullet. Just my opinion....

I really believe there's not really many inaccurate bullets. 

Edited by B_RAD

Just now, B_RAD said:

That's not that good of a group if it's from a PCC and only 21 yd. 

You clearly haven’t seen me attempt grouped distance shooting with any platform. 😂

That’s exceptional considering the loose nut behind the wheel. :D 

(And don’t forget, I called the three bottom shots low. That was all me. I suppose I could have taped them up and posted the upper group like a lot of guys probably would for the internet... but this is what I actually shot.)

RMR hardcore match were my favorite bullets; they are sadly discontinued.  Their "lesser" plated bullets are still good.   I have about 15k of Berry's stockpiled and I like them for standard velocity loads, just not for 9major.  PD is the way to go for JHP for bang for the buck; especially if you get their blems.  I paid 7.3 cents each for blems, so I bought 10k of them.