Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was digging in my old steamer trunk in the basement the other day and came across one of my first reloading notebooks. In it I found all the receipts from my first "from scratch" 1911 builds. Got a bit nostalgic looking through them as many of the companies are gone or have drastically changed. But it also reminded me of the answer to a question I get asked a lot. Why did you go with them when this company is more popular now. For example: Why do I use Chip McCormick mags for all my single stacks. Here's why:

On that receipt from CMC was 4 Shooting Star .45 ACP mags, a carbon fiber and titanium trigger, a titanium firing pin, titanium hammer strut and titanium main spring plug. I remember getting the parts and installing them and thinking I had read in the trigger description in the catalog (this was in the early 90s, no internet stores) that it was adjustable for take up. I looked it over thoroughly and couldn't find a way to do that. (amateur)

So I called CMC. And the next thing I know, I'm talking to Chip McCormick. (Wow.) Asked him about the take up adjustment and he very politely explained that the triggers were not really adjustable and while other companies had started cutting tabs on the trigger bow to do it, it wasn't an option with titanium as they break off too easily. Then he explained how he makes the adjustment. A dab of JB weld on the front of the trigger bow and sand it down to fit with the take up you want. I had a dozen questions and he answered every one in detail and asked about my experience with building 1911s. I told him about the tuning I had done on others and my Frankenstein build and we had a long conversation about guns and shooting sports and the satisfaction of building something that works the way you want it to.

Then he said, "Tell you what I'll do. I'm gonna make you up a trigger with the JB weld pad on it and take it down to where you can fit it without much hassle. I got your address right here, I'll get it out to you today."

"Ok. That's sounds great. I appreciate that. I'll get this one boxed up and get it in the mail back to you today."

"Nah. Don't worry about it."

"Seriously? Not a problem to send this one back. Or I can send you a check for the new one."

"Just use it in your next build and pay attention to how I did this one so you can do it next time."

"Wow. Thanks, man. But you really don't have to do that."

"Not problem. Just let me know how it turns out."

He DIDN'T have to do that and I would never have expected it. But he did. And I remember it

Chip no longer sells those titanium parts and the double stack hybrid receiver with reinforced polymer grip frame. That became Tripp Research, which later became STI and SVI. Chip just sells magazines now. But all of the magazines I have bought from CMC over the years have worked flawlessly. So maybe Wilson or Brown or MecGar are better. Says you. My CMCs work fine and Chip gave me his time a long time ago, to make me feel like I was important. I'll stick with Chip.

I can tell you a similar story about the Centaur Systems barrel kit that was in that build. SEVERAL phone conversations with Ray Herriott that lasted at least an hour of mostly BSing about guns and shooting. If Ray were alive and in business today, I would still be getting barrels from him. They worked. And they turned my rattletrap into a surprisingly accurate pistol.

Same with Caspian. Sure, STI JEM and others have become more popular, but I have never had a bad experience with Caspian parts and any time I call, I'm treated like I'm their only customer. I'll keep buying from them.

So why do I buy from companies when other offer "better", because there is NOTHING better than a company that takes care of you.

Edited by Dranoel

Just found out Chip has retired and sold out to his old buddy Bill. :(

But I also found out that the Centaur Quadra-Lok barrels are being made by Baiar Precision in Columbia Falls, MT May have to give them a call. :)