Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo 1 6 MOA

Rich406

Anyone have some time with the newer Romeo1 6 MOA? I’d like to know how it holds up over 10k rounds+.  I’ve tried one out, and I like how bright it is. 

I used a DPP last season, and while I like it, I couldn’t get more than 3-10k rounds on them before they broke. I had to send in 7 to Leupold to be repaired. 

I started with one in Carry Optics on a Glock 34, and  it did not last 2k rounds before I returned it. The dot would just disappear for no reason. After some research on the Net, it seemed it was an inherent problem, which required re positioning ground tabs and cleaning the battery contact area. I returned it to the store I purchased it from, and they did not argue on the return. I am not using a dot that is that finicky. I have a Burris Fastfire which has been rock solid, and for my CZ I use a Vortex Viper, which has not failed once.

Unless SIG has addressed the contact problem, well, there have been times between a large match, and two more smaller local matches where shooting that many rounds is not out of the question. I have enough to worry about without keeping track of a low round count and then fixing the same issue. I was quite disappointed in that kind of quality.

1 hour ago, mont1120 said:

I started with one in Carry Optics on a Glock 34, and  it did not last 2k rounds before I returned it. The dot would just disappear for no reason. After some research on the Net, it seemed it was an inherent problem, which required re positioning ground tabs and cleaning the battery contact area. I returned it to the store I purchased it from, and they did not argue on the return. I am not using a dot that is that finicky. I have a Burris Fastfire which has been rock solid, and for my CZ I use a Vortex Viper, which has not failed once.

Unless SIG has addressed the contact problem, well, there have been times between a large match, and two more smaller local matches where shooting that many rounds is not out of the question. I have enough to worry about without keeping track of a low round count and then fixing the same issue. I was quite disappointed in that kind of quality.

Was this with the 6 moa? Or the older 3 Moa?

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

The Burris FF3 had the same issues. It was traced back to the battery cover contacts. Various shooters referred to the "dot going out during strings of fire". My FF2s never had that problem, but, 4 moa as opposed to an 8 moa.

The Romeo is/was not alone in these failures and has supposedly been upgraded in the newer ones.

Have not heard about the Romeo 6 moa suffering from the same issues.

A couple of the pro shooters I was squadded with this fall are really big on the Romeo3. Super bright 3 moa that won't "blossom" (or "bleed") at the max intensity. Yet another option. (albeit at around $100 more cost)

I'm switching over to all Romeo 1 6moa.

No problems on co  guns or open guns to date.

Witness mark battery cover, to be able to check my if it is loosening up.

None of mine have yet.

Best optic to date for me.

Dp and DPP in the past

Edited by jcc7x7

8 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

The Burris FF3 had the same issues. It was traced back to the battery cover contacts. Various shooters referred to the "dot going out during strings of fire". My FF2s never had that problem, but, 4 moa as opposed to an 8 moa.

The Romeo is/was not alone in these failures and has supposedly been upgraded in the newer ones.

Have not heard about the Romeo 6 moa suffering from the same issues.

A couple of the pro shooters I was squadded with this fall are really big on the Romeo3. Super bright 3 moa that won't "blossom" (or "bleed") at the max intensity. Yet another option. (albeit at around $100 more cost)

I’ve been told that the Romeo 3 has the same internals as the c-more rts2. It’s so big though....

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

I shot the R1 6moa all this season in carry optics. Never an issue, same battery is running strong. The 6moa is a little harder to find, but worth the hunt.

How many rounds would you estimate you have on it?

I am a little color blind, and found that the 3 MOA dots on both my Romeo 1, and Romeo 3 are really hard for me to see, in bright sunshine. Even though I only shot one IDPA match with each.

I just got a Romeo 1, with 6 MOA dot, and it’s actually bright enough for me. I’m thinking that I might put the others up for sale.

So. On my second trip to the range and about 600 rounds on the Romeo1, now it won’t hold zero. 

Started noticing that that I was missing small pieces of steel, so I checked the zero and it was off about 2” at 10 yards. I re zero’d And a couple hundred rounds later it was 3” low at 10 yards. 

I had heard this was an issue with the 3 moa version. 

Did I just get a bad one? Or?

• 5 months later...

Anyone have issues with the battery cap coming loose? Had the battery cap torqued down to 10in lbs (I assume that is the recommended torque setting) and after about 1500 rounds the dot went out, would randomly come on and off when the slide was racked. The battery cap seemed tight but unscrewed it anyways, changed batteries same results.  Didn’t have my FAT screw driver to torque it down so had to wait to get home. Seems to be fine now. Hopefully won’t have any issues at the match this weekend.