Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holosun 510C is huge

highhope

No Problems at all! The way the mount is made, the sight sits just in front of where the cases eject, no interference at all. I just came back from the range, it shoots great and for this old body, it sure makes it easier to pick up the dot. Love the big window!! 

Since I am on here, I will explain what I did to mount the 510c to the CM mount. There are 2 rectangular lugs on the bottom of the 510, NOTE: I called Holosun, and they said that those could be removed without harming the sight!!! But I decided to mill out the mount to accept the 2 lugs. I ordered the blast shield from TEVO and the pattern that is already stamped in the blast shield helped lay out the holes and the places that had to be milled for the lugs. Because the under side of the mount is irregular, I counter sank the holes on the underside to accept the screw heads. One thing nice, is that Tevo includes longer screws for the the blast shield. I did it all on a drill press, it would be much easier and cleaner if you have access to a mill. You just have to take your time with the drill holes to make sure they are dead on.  JD

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JDIllon said:

No Problems at all! The way the mount is made, the sight sits just in front of where the cases eject, no interference at all. I just came back from the range, it shoots great and for this old body, it sure makes it easier to pick up the dot. Love the big window!! 

Since I am on here, I will explain what I did to mount the 510c to the CM mount. There are 2 rectangular lugs on the bottom of the 510, NOTE: I called Holosun, and they said that those could be removed without harming the sight!!! But I decided to mill out the mount to accept the 2 lugs. I ordered the blast shield from TEVO and the pattern that is already stamped in the blast shield helped lay out the holes and the places that had to be milled for the lugs. Because the under side of the mount is irregular, I counter sank the holes on the underside to accept the screw heads. One thing nice, is that Tevo includes longer screws for the the blast shield. I did it all on a drill press, it would be much easier and cleaner if you have access to a mill. You just have to take your time with the drill holes to make sure they are dead on.  JD

So for the Tevo mount if you want to leave the lugs on you have to mill them out? Why not just take them off? Although i have some buddies who are machinists, i dont think i want to be messing about with that sort of stuff...i just mount it and start shooting. Why did you choose to leave them on and go through the milling process? 

8 minutes ago, devilsdenguns said:

So for the Tevo mount if you want to leave the lugs on you have to mill them out? Why not just take them off? Although i have some buddies who are machinists, i dont think i want to be messing about with that sort of stuff...i just mount it and start shooting. Why did you choose to leave them on and go through the milling process? 

This has nothing to do with the TEVO mount!!! This is using the stock CZ Czechmate mount. I only used the TEVO blast shield!! You can take/ file the lugs off, I just chose to mill out for the in the mount. It would definitely be easier to file the lugs off. Then you just have to drill the mount and get the right length screws.  JD

Edited by JDIllon

1 minute ago, JDIllon said:

This has nothing to do with the TEVO mount!!! This is using the stock CZ Czechmate mount. I only used the TEVO blast shield!! You can take/ file the lugs off, I just chose to mill out for the in the mount. It would definitely be easier to file the lugs off. Then you just have to drill the mount and get the right length screws.  JD

Ohhhhh got ya ok. Thanks! I was starting to get nervous about my decision to run one lol!

21 hours ago, devilsdenguns said:

did you change anything on your ejection? or did you slap it on there and run it no issues?

On my Atlas, I slapped it on.  Havent had any ejection issues.  Shot a major and a bunch of level 1s so far. 

Caution!!!! If you are considering doing this, I should tell you that getting the 510c straight and square on the CM mount is NO simple task!! there are no straight edges on the sight! and the blast shield is not a snug fit. So there is a lot of measuring aliening. Much of it using the mount that comes with the Holosun 510c. The other thing that is not easy, is getting the holes on the underside of the CM mount counter sunk straight and even, because there are many angles and different thicknesses of Aluminum to deal with from the bottom of the mount. Just some things to consider before tackling this project. If you like projects, like me, have at it, it was a lot of fun. Or if you are a machinist or have a real good friend that is LOL! good for you. He may not be as friendly when he is done!!  

Note: the 510 looks square, but it is not!!! If you measure the width at the front, behind the switch and at the rear, you will see what I mean. 

Ordered an Atlas Chaos w/ a Holosun. I notice some guys remove the cover and some dont. Other than the weight savings are you sacrificing alot of durability by taking it off? Is it waterproof without the cover? 

I shoot EoTechs alot on my carbines so this holosun looks right up my alley.

14 minutes ago, travisb2352 said:

Ordered an Atlas Chaos w/ a Holosun. I notice some guys remove the cover and some dont. Other than the weight savings are you sacrificing alot of durability by taking it off? Is it waterproof without the cover? 

Just for looks and maybe protection against banging it on stuff.

Mine just got soaked at SNS 400. No issues without cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, devilsdenguns said:

sweet thanks for the reply on that! I was pretty curious if size of the mount caused ejection issues. Thanks!

The Atlas mount sits further up than the Tevo. I just ordered a Tevo blast shield though. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, racerwong said:

The Atlas mount sits further up than the Tevo. I just ordered a Tevo blast shield though. 

So I've been looking for a thread about this to bring up my awesome experience I had with the Tevo blast shield/510c combo.

Originally, when I had installed the optic, the screws were just barely long enough to go through the mount, blast shield, and into the optic. In fact, one of the four screws actually ended up stripping out the thread on the bottom of the optic. Thinking I was being smart, I doused the screw in red loctite and called it good.. Until that screw and the other front screw fell out during a local match.

After waiting a couple weeks for Holosun to send me extra screws and re-zero the dot, I had thought the proper solution was to go ahead and douse every screw with some red loctite. Hell, I even let the stuff cure for like 2-3 days before I even went to zero it.

Well, as my luck would have it, that didn't quite work out. In fact, since the screws were only being held by the first few threads, it made it even worse that I used loctite to try and hold them in place. I'm guessing the force of the recoil was too much for the optic, and the whole thing popped off in the middle of one of my stages. After the stage, I'd noticed the screws were still firmly secured in the mount, and the optic itself is what had stripped out all the way. Maybe I just got a bad dot, but I'm thinking the ~1/8" of thickness from the Tevo blast shield left those screws just a tiny bit too far out. I've contacted Holosun about a warranty replacement, but the rep I spoke with said it's the first time he's ever heard of that happening so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Still, one of the guys from another squad showed me his setup with the same Atlas mount and no blast shield, and he said his glass only needs wiping every 4-5 stages with no signs of permanent fouling. This was with him shooting what looked like a shorter gun with barrel ports right under the glass. I'm thinking I'm gonna run my new dot without the shield, and hopefully those screws will stay in place. This is NOT a knock against Tevo, just thought I should mention this in case anyone decides to go with the same combo; I would caution you to be very careful when reinstalling the mounting screws, or you can try and look for some longer ones with the same size/thread pitch.

And here's a video of my dot flying off the gun, for your viewing pleasure:

https://streamable.com/5d0m6

5 hours ago, kujo929 said:

Mine did also. Over 5K on the Holosun and over 2k since adding the blast shield. No issues

I was trying to get Atlas mount, but they are not shipping overseas. All my RTS2's have failed around 6k so I am looking for alternatives during wintertime. Trijicon SRO is very interesting but at the pricepoint of 800 EUR you can buy two 510c and I already have one at PCC, which I really like.

9 minutes ago, Kema said:

I was trying to get Atlas mount, but they are not shipping overseas. All my RTS2's have failed around 6k so I am looking for alternatives during wintertime. Trijicon SRO is very interesting but at the pricepoint of 800 EUR you can buy two 510c and I already have one at PCC, which I really like.

try speedshooters - i think they ship overseas under $100 for Atlas 510c mount

7 hours ago, Kema said:

Do you have any relatives here in the US? If so, buy it on from the website, have it shipped to your relatives address so they can then ship it to you. Or ask one of the many Enos forum members to do it for you.

Heck, you can pm me and I’ll do that for you. You can order and pay for the mount, ship it to me, pay for the shipping when I ship it to you as long as that’s legal. 

Where in Europe are you located?

2 hours ago, George16 said:

Do you have any relatives here in the US? If so, buy it on from the website, have it shipped to your relatives address so they can then ship it to you. Or ask one of the many Enos forum members to do it for you.

Heck, you can pm me and I’ll do that for you. You can order and pay for the mount, ship it to me, pay for the shipping when I ship it to you as long as that’s legal. 

Where in Europe are you located?

Finland, Finland, Finland :)

I will check with speedshooters. I ordered a lot from them before new ITAR limitations. And thanks for the offer!

44 minutes ago, Kema said:

Finland, Finland, Finland :)

I will check with speedshooters. I ordered a lot from them before new ITAR limitations. And thanks for the offer!

Your welcome. Just pm me whenever you’re ready and hopefully ITAR allows it.

943d356f809d08be71758f7a06ff7ce9.jpg

Here is a photo someone had comparing dots. Holosun 510c isn’t really comparable size wise to and SRO. SRO May be larger size for a slide mounted gun, but the 510C is typically a rifle mounted sight so is much larger than the SRO.

On 7/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, racerwong said:

Didn’t your Tevo shield come with longer screws?  Mine did

Well I guess that's where my issues came from lol. Still, I'll be running the new dot without the blast shield and I guess I can update here with whether or not it's worse than before.