Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC 9 Major...cracked comp question

jakfrost1

Apparently they feel that fixing/replacing the ones that break and eating the loss in sales is still less expensive than designing, testing and tooling up a new version. These are the drawbacks of letting accountants into the boardroom instead of keeping them chained to a calculator in the basement where they belong.

I also suspect that the DVC line is a cash cow and they stopped making the Trubor in an effort to get more DVC sales. However the Trubor was an excellent way to get a new customer started on the brand and then later get followup sales on more expensive guns - brand loyalty is a thing. But, unfortunately, accountants.

I could be wrong. But judging by the number of new competitors opening up shops of their own, I'd wager they are losing market share. Issues like these certainly aren't helping.

My comp cracked and got a new one after waiting over a year.

It's certainly better quality than the old one, but I am just waiting when thin thing blows up again.

You don't get so many choices here in Finland(SPT, SPS?, CK on order?), but maybe I just buy CZ. I hope they have a new open coming soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update, Well it been since December 6 (almost 2 1/2 months) that STI has had my open gun. When I talked to them in January they said 12 weeks so hopefully I get it back at the end of the month. They also said that the only thing I'm get back from my original gun is the grip and RTS2 with the mount, everything else will be new.  So I'm guessing it will have the new charging handle.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Absocold said:

I'm confuzzled. The comp cracked but instead of a new barrel/comp they're replacing the entire slide assembly, frame and controls as well? Okaaaaay....

Yep, surprised me also, I hope it's new they are going to have it 3 months a least.

They said that it had all been fit once and if they fit another barrel to slide and slide to frame the metal can get to thin and could crack later.

So I'm told I get a new gun with my grip, Aftec and mount with the RTS2, if it comes back with the new style of slide racker then its new. If not I should be able to tell if the slide is new because I had a spot that I polished out a scratch by the slide stop. They tried to talk me into the black barrel but I want the TiN/gold color to match my Limited gun, which they said they would recoat the Limited black to match if I would like. But I like the look of the chrome and gold a lot better then the chrome and black.

I'll do another up date when I get it back, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the cracked comp, it took exactly 3 months, the frame and slide are new, grip and SV trigger are the same ones. I got the old, now new again dovetail slide racker on it which is fine with me, they aren't doing the screw in any more, I was told it was not received well. This one locks up tighter then the old one when it was new and the trigger is lighter, it was right at 2# before now it's averages 1.7# which is lighter then my Limited.

I shot several hundred rounds through it, also chrono some rounds and it seams to be a faster barrel, its shooting over 1400 fps now with my old loads, around 50 to 80 fps average faster. 

The aftec extractor was returned and so was the firing pin and spring which was stock so I have those as replacements in the range bag. They replaced the hard case that had gotten broken and gave me two more 140 mags so overall other then the time it took I'm happy with the outcome, hopefully this comp last. If not this post will be resurrected

Edited by NamesNotMike

47 minutes ago, NamesNotMike said:

Update on the cracked comp, it took exactly 3 months, the frame and slide are new, grip and SV trigger are the same ones. I got the old, now new again dovetail slide racker on it which is fine with me, they aren't doing the screw in any more, I was told it was not received well. This one locks up tighter then the old one when it was new and the trigger is lighter, it was right at 2# before now it's averages 1.7# which is lighter then my Limited.

I shot several hundred rounds through it, also chrono some rounds and it seams to be a faster barrel, its shooting over 1400 fps now with my old loads, around 50 to 80 fps average faster. 

The aftec extractor was returned and so was the firing pin and spring which was stock so I have those as replacements in the range bag. They replaced the hard case that had gotten broken and gave me two more 140 mags so overall other then the time it took I happy with the outcome, hopefully this comp last. If not this post will be resurrected

great service.

.enjoy  u have new gun.

• 4 years later...
42 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I wouldn't bet on it.  STI is not even a company anymore and Staccato really doesn't seem to want much of anything to do with competition shooters.  

I was at the factory last week and they were working on a Trubore.  I was told they honor the lifetime warranty, even on open guns.

• 2 weeks later...