Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC 9 Major...cracked comp question

jakfrost1

Hi all, just finished cleaning my 'back up' gun, twin of the primary...STI DVC in 9 major...and found a pair of cracks in the comp opposite each other at the first top port, both sides, traveling down to the respective side port. 

This gun is relatively new, 18 months or so, and as the back up gun hasn't seen a lot of rounds, like maybe 5,000. All 125 Zero's in front of an appropriate amount of 3N38. First time I have seen a cracked comp, but I'm fairly new to open, 3 yrs and 30,000 rounds, all thru the pair of STI DVC's. By the way the primary gun with almost 25,000 rounds is fine, as far as I can see. 

My gunsmith said shoot it till it breaks off, no worries. Or at least until it looks like it is about to break off....they all crack sooner or later. 

I see Brazos and Dawson both carry one piece barrel/comp parts for the 2011 series, Brazos has the 'Thundercomp' as well, with more side cuts, but my gun guy says in his experience the only thing the side ports accomplish is to give the top crack somewhere to propagate too...so don't bother with a fancy 'multi hole' comp. 

I would like to have something in my 'spares' bin for the day the comp does fail, but not sure what route to go with a replacement for the 'one piece' barrel/comp that comes on the DVC...? 

Any suggestions? 

Cheers

Jim

PS the photo shows the crack on the right side...left side is exactly the same.

IMG_2844.jpeg

2 hours ago, sauza45 said:

That is the old style comp. Sti has a new comp and they will replace it for you, just send it back to them. 

Have not seen new one, what’s it look like ?

2 hours ago, davsco said:

yeah def send it back vs buying (and installing etc) another comp yourself.

You would need to buy a new barrel  (fit it) and comp if you sought to repair it yourself. Thats one of those STI trubor style arrangements whereas the barrel and comp is machined as one piece. Id never own anything other than a threaded barrel and removable comp just for the reason of being able to just change comps if it should fail or to just try something else etc. 

That is one of the many issues that has plagued STI for years and fuels many of the threads in this forum. Barrel replacement is a must and whomever gave you the "shoot it until it falls off" advise is foolish.  

Just got a reply to my call for help from the dealer I bought the gun from...he basically said " you want your new gun to be chrome or black?". Hmm...seems a tough route to a new gun but what choice do I have...I'm thinking black.

Edited by jakfrost1

Just sent mine in for the same thing. I hope it doesn't take 6 months now, their turn around is suppose to be faster now, looks like I'll be shooting my DVC limited gun for awhile.

I sent mine in about 3 months ago and it was about 2 months to get it back. My frame was cracked as well though so there was no fixing it.

1 minute ago, tyman1876 said:

Yes they gave me a new in the plastic gun. It is the newer DVC model as well. Different comp design, RTS2 optic and a different charge handle.

Nice. I sent mine back in Jan. and they changed out the slideride for the RTS2 which took care of the stovepipe problems. I figured it was only a matter of time before it cracked, it had the larger side cuts that touched the top line on the comps side, just like all of the others that I have seen that have cracked. At least it's this time of the year and not in the summer.

Nice. I sent mine back in Jan. and they changed out the slideride for the RTS2 which took care of the stovepipe problems. I figured it was only a matter of time before it cracked, it had the larger side cuts that touched the top line on the comps side, just like all of the others that I have seen that have cracked. At least it's this time of the year and not in the summer.

Actually that isn’t even where mine cracked. I know that’s the normal spot but mine was on the bottom where the comp meets the barrel. You can kind of see it in this pic. Only reason I knew something happened was because I had rounds hitting like 5 feet high while practicing... I was skipping them off the comp on the way out.

8d2da6a2d8440548fd747329089383aa.jpg

9f82ae5354996634f4bd234001858656.jpg

It's pretty amazing to me that a company their size would choose not to fix a known defect, despite the fact that it's costing them time, money and resources.  Not to mention the damage to their reputation ,and the risk it poses to their customers. 

Edited by ltdmstr

That has been STI's M.O. for quite some time now. I would venture to guess with the money they save with the crappy MIM parts, low labor time, and mass production, they must still be making money or they would have changed by now. People still seem to buying them up.... 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, ltdmstr said:

It's pretty amazing to me that a company their size would choose not to fix a known defect, despite the fact that it's costing them time, money and resources.  Not to mention the damage to their reputation ,and the risk it poses to their customers. 

Issue a recall?