Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Comp Wear on PCCs?

I'm looking to build another PCC upper, this time with a comped barrel.  My teammate sells a rimfire muzzle brake with a design that I really like, and I'm itching to experiment with it by boring it out for 9mm and maybe drilling a top port to tune it into a proper comp.  The hitch is that it's built out of 7000 series aluminum, and he's unsure how the aluminum will stand up to the heat of centerfire use.  I''m not going to pretend that I know anything about aluminum and its heat resistance, or the amount of heat/gas (or lack thereof) coming out og a 16” 9mm batrel, but I do see that others sell aluminum PCC comps, such as MBX and TACCOM.  

Can anybody share their longterm experiences with aluminum comps on PCCs, particularly in terms of wear and tear?  

Thanks,

J

Edited by jkrispies
3 hours ago, Startingover said:

Will it be pinned and welded?

If not, try it out, and make a spare.

It cant cost that much.

Exactly my thought and his!  While a 14.5” isn’t 100% ruled out yet, the current plan is it will be on a 16” barrel so no need to pin and weld.  I’d prefer a 14.5” but I also want some flexibility to test test it with and without, and with variations.  If it doesn’t help I’ll just put a cap on it. Beforehand I thought it might be wise to to hear what other folks who have already been there were experiencing.  I will add, though, that if word comes back to me that an aluminum comp works fine I’d be more likely to go 14.5” and just pin it and go for it.  

Edited by jkrispies

The short version Taccom comp that I run is aluminum. I have not experienced any gas cutting or degradation of the material out of a 10.5 " barrel but you are more likely to remove material when you remove the carbon build up versus a steel comp. I had about about 10k on my comp when I cleaned it the first time. Some of the anodizing came off of the inside but that was really the only damage.