Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Fort Lee, VA

Hey all, I'm heading out to Fort Lee, VA next year for training. I'm not sure on my exact lodging and transportation situation until I get closer to the date, but let's assume I can't go much further than Richmond or an equal distance South/East/West from post. 

All I've found for myself is that they have a range on post, but it's only open two days a month! Anyone know of any other ranges or places to shoot nearby? Preferably outdoors so I can practice draw, movement, transitions, etc. I don't know how likely an outdoor shooting spot is out there on the east coast for shooting, since I'm used to just being able to drive 20 minutes out into the desert and shoot when and what I want lol. I don't even know that I'll be able to shoot in any USPSA matches there, I'm just hoping I'll get some time to do live-fire practice so I don't get too rusty during the time that I'm there.

As of right now, my best case scenario is to hope that I get lodging off-post and can dryfire in my hotel room, but If I'm stuck on-post I'll have to keep my gun in a vault with the unit. If that's the case, I'd at least try and get out to do some live-fire, and maybe get a Blue Gun to practice draws and whatever in my room. Any other recommendations or suggestions?

My girl lives in Richmond, VA. I keep trying to get there for their first Saturday USPSA match, but haven’t managed it yet.

I found it extremely quickly by googling Richmond Virigina USPSA.

Note that there’s a very active club in Richmond California, so pick the right one!. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yeah, I've seen the Richmond USPSA club, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it up there since it'll be about an hour and change drive from post. The club/range that hosts the matches has a 2-year wait to join so I'm thinking practicing there is out of the question. Plus, I'm not even sure I'll have a car to drive up there. Unfortunately, it looks like that'll be my best bet of getting any actual shooting though. Hoping some people from the Ft. Lee area might have other advice?

• 2 weeks later...

VIR looks like it’s actually another hour further from post than the others, but I’m not ruling out that I’ll have a car if I need to travel a bit. A few matches a month makes it a lot easier to attend at least one of them too, thanks for the suggestion!