Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you mark your brass?

UpYoursPal

Because I'm a foolish 30-something with a healthy back, I decided a while back that I would start shooting .38 super.  While it's a great round, I *HATE* having to play brass chicken during the match and inspect countless cases to find those few cases that are like-9mm-but-not-quite.  I started marking my brass with a sharpie to help with recovery afterward, but that's a time-consuming process in itself.  Does anyone have a good method for marking brass that doesn't add another year to the reloading process?

Fastest: Mark the headstamps when all 100 slots of a shock bottle case gauge are full.

Downside: Only marks bottom of brass.

Best Mark on Brass: Dual colors marked via this unit from Uniquetek - http://uniquetek.com/product/T1515-A

Downside: Must handle every single piece of brass individually, thus slower.

Best Method: Re barrel to 9 major. 🤣

Edited by Maximis228

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

Fastest: Mark the headstamps when all 100 slots of a shock bottle case gauge are full.

Best Mark on Brass - Dual colors marked via this unit from Uniquetek - http://uniquetek.com/product/T1515-A

I am a 38 SC brass whore.  I have the UniqueTek device..  It is painfully slow for the volume I shoot.  

My method:

put on latex gloves or prepare to get colored fingers

put the round, bullet down in an empty 9mm ammo box.  

have a sharpie resting on the edge of the box

spin the round by the rim to make a pretty circle

I have found thru trial and error that the Sharpie Brush Tip is the go to marker for this task.  Far better than the regular sharpie or the chisel tip

38 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Best Mark on Brass: Dual colors marked via this unit from Uniquetek - http://uniquetek.com/product/T1515-A

Wow!  I've never seen that device before.  That would be very handy.  I'm using a Dillon 550 right now so I'm used to slow.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, UpYoursPal said:

Wow!  I've never seen that device before.  That would be very handy.  I'm using a Dillon 550 right now so I'm used to slow.

I  saw this and made a home made version a couple of years ago. Mine marks them with two colors.

20181205_164214_resized_1.jpg

Edited by mayassa
pic

• 4 weeks later...

I use the manual single marker version of the Mr. Shooter tool cause it was much cheaper. I also use blue Dykem on the bottom of all my brass once it's in my 100 rd box and they have a red ring from the marker. I do it mainly because I shoot 38SC and usually squad with 5-7 other guys also shooting 38SC and we all have our own different color combos and all help each other pick up brass. The marking certainly make it easier to find them and it really doesn't take much time to do it, the dykem takes like 20 seconds per 100 and the ring gets done while I watch TV or do something else... or have your kid do it for you.