Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40cal build from 10mm G20

GARD72977

I went back to glock. I bought a 17 for production and a 24 for Limited. I have seen some info on building a 40cal from a 10mm.

Im guessing throating the barrel long will help keep the bullets from nose diving in the mag.

I would like to hear from some people that have done this. I really like the feel of the big frame glock. I just grip them better.

I have a KKM 40 conversion barrel for my G20.  It runs like a champ and is very accurate.  I also load my 40s long in it (like 1.225") for better feeding and safety margin.  No throating necessary with my KKMs (I've had 2 of them but sold one).

I have also loaded long 40 that equals or exceeds hot 10mm loads safely. 

Do it bro.

P.S. HCH is correct.  You CAN run 40 through the stock 10mm barrel and do it all day long.

Thanks for the reply. I have been shooting production. Been off the pistol shooting for about a year. I'm shooting a match this week end with the 24. Im new to limited and want to see how th 24 handles. It will give me some direction on a big frame build.

I work in ballistics for a ammunition manufacture and shoot the big frame glocks a lot. The bigger grip fits my hand better.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, Qbert said:

P.S. HCH is correct.  You CAN run 40 through the stock 10mm barrel and do it all day long.

Though .40 will chamber and fire in a 10mm this is generally not recommended as you will be headapacing on the extractor/case rim rather than on the case mouth as intended. I've personally never seen this happen but the concern is that this is hard on both the brass and extractor and over time you could weaken and break your extractor. Personally, I'd buy a conversion barrel.

Edited by Jakobi

I’ve shot tens of thousands of .40 through my g20 with a LW conversion barrel. The only rounds that ever needed to be run kind of long to feed where lead SWC, every thing else ran perfect at standard .40 type OAl. I also typically  ran a 13lbs RSA on a steel rod. I really love the larger grip

• 4 weeks later...

You can fire a 40 from a 10mm barrel.  I have done it...but I wouldn't advise it.  If you get a 40 cartridge that is a little on the short end it may cause some serious issues.  I would just buy the barrel to be safe.

I thought the most effective ways to minimize felt recoil were spring tuning and slide lightening. 

G20, like the G21 has a heavy slide. Other than being able to load long for ammo compatibility (with your Single Stack, I'm assuming you don't have any 2011 Limited guns if you're setting up a Glock for this division), why would the G20 be a better option than a G35 or G24? Seems the heavier reciprocating mass would increase the felt recoil, and the bigger frame being made of plastic have almost no effect on weight.

19 minutes ago, 9X23Guy said:

The Glock 21 is unique in the sense that it is 180 degrees out from conventional wisdom. True, lighter reciprocating mass makes better shooting guns but the 21 slide at 16 ounces is SO heavy it makes shooting even hot ammo really soft. 

Interesting. I'm assuming the G21  has the same unique set of circumstances.

As has already been said, the KKM conversion barrel runs perfectly.  Loading the mags can be a bit annoying relative to a G22, but I've shot thousands of rounds ( I know, not really very much) through it with zero problems.   Of course if one of my Glocks did jam I'd go buy a lottery ticket immediately.

Not that it helps much, but you can still get .357 sig for the G20 too. Barsto for sure (which would be my go to next time), but I've had no problems w/my KKM either.  

• 3 months later...