Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for MSA hearing protection

practical_man

Looking to get a set of MSA SORDIN electronic muffs to replace dead Howard Leights.  

I would prefer to buy from a vendor that supports the shooting sports, rather than a random inter web advertiser. 

Looking for something like this:

https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-neckband-hearing-protection-headset.html

thanks

-john

8 minutes ago, practical_man said:

Looking to get a set of MSA SORDIN electronic muffs to replace dead Howard Leights.  

I would prefer to buy from a vendor that supports the shooting sports, rather than a random inter web advertiser. 

https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-neckband-hearing-protection-headset.html

thanks

-john

I looked around for these at one time and it just seems shooting vendors don't carry them. MidwayUSA didn't even have them. Only place I found them was Amazon and SRS Tactical. They are a little cheaper on SRS Tactical but things are just too easy to return to Amazon if something is wrong with them. And Amazon is hardly a random inter web advertiser. :)

22 minutes ago, practical_man said:

Thanks Sarge!

Did you end up buying a set?  If so, do they perform as advertised?

I got a pair for my Birthday. I havent tried them yet but I hear they are not as good at muffling as many other brands. I like the slim profile and they will be great for PCC. But not sure they will cut it for Open guns.

I've used my since April 2008 and they are excellent.  SRS Tactical was the only US source for Sordins at the time.

Spring for the gel earseals. I used the standard earseals for several years.  Upgraded to the gel and feel it was money well spent.  They take comfort up to the next level.

+1 on the gel earseals.

I got my Sordins about a year ago after the electronics failed in the second pair of Howard Leight Impacts Pros. Much more comfortable than the Howard Leight slims.

Had a problem with a bad connection in the battery box and SRS Tactical repaired them quickly.  Excellent customer service. 

Another +1 for the gel cups.  They are super comfortable.  I've used the Howard Leight Impact Sports for a while but found them uncomfortable for extended periods and wanted to try something different.  The Impact Sports electronics would always cut off so I had trouble with conversations with them on.  The electronics on the MSA are better and I can carry a conversation with them.

I've shot my open gun with them outdoors but would still double up indoors though.  The only complaint is wearing them in the summer.  It's just too hot and I wear electronic inserts during the summer.

FWIW, they make gel inserts for other headsets now so if you are looking for comfort and own other over the head hearing protection, you can try that but the electronics are better with the MSA compared to the Impact Sport or the Peltor Tactical 100.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:31 AM, practical_man said:

thanks

-john

If you’d like to support a vendor that supports the shooting sports, Double Alpha Academy sells the Sordins.

And yes, the gel cups are a must. 

• NRR Rating - 19dB

Need to decide if that is good enough for your needs. I use them when shooting a 9mm outside & they are fine for that,  but I use pro ears (27 db) when I need something that provides better protection and I would have gone for the 30 db pro ears if they had been available where I was. 

There is an article on the web that claims the sordins perform better with gun shots than their rating by standard method indicates, my opinion after wearing sordins and others for an extended time & doing a bit of independent research is that the article is b.s..  

I find the Sordins work better than their NRR would indicate, but I always double-plug anyway.  I run a set of Surefire plugs under the Sordins, and with the amp cranked up still get better than normal hearing with complete noise and blast protection.

My only issue with the Sordins is that they are just barely large enough for my head, which I don't think is extraordinarily large. 

58 cm circumference and, for example, I wear a medium size Arai motorcycle helmet.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, IHAVEGAS said:
  • NRR Rating - 19dB

Need to decide if that is good enough for your needs. I use them when shooting a 9mm outside & they are fine for that,  but I use pro ears (27 db) when I need something that provides better protection and I would have gone for the 30 db pro ears if they had been available where I was. 

There is an article on the web that claims the sordins perform better with gun shots than their rating by standard method indicates, my opinion after wearing sordins and others for an extended time & doing a bit of independent research is that the article is b.s..  

The article is BS.  If you apply the same frequency range cherrypicking to a muff with 30 dB NRR, you get a Trevor number of 44.  Quieter is quieter.

Another board showed where to get gel cups for other makes of muff. 

Hang on...

https://noisefighters.com/