Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Classifier "Tripple Choice"

I've not shot this one but would like to.

I looked at the PCC numbers for this one.  Plenty of time to get your hits for a nice bump.

I like to shoot right to left so I would start lower right to middle to lower left.  Then up to the upper left and finish with the upper right.

Since the WSB states "transfer gun to weak hand"  it may mess with some of the PCC shooters that would prefer to start the third string with the gun on the belt on the weak side.

4 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

Was that coaching? Sounded like the RO was telling shooter which hand before the string.  Can RO coach between strings or only read WSB prior to walk trough?

BTW, I hate those kind of classifiers. 

Not coaching in my opinion. We do that here if things have potential to get confusing. I have turned to the RO and asked for clarification before as well. No big deal. Now, in my opinion, if he started shooting freestyle on the second string and the RO or anybody said, "Strong Hand!" then that would be a better example of coaching.

The shooter must assume the starting position as stated in the WSB.  Until then, the RO does not start the timer.  So its part of the RO's job and not coaching.

As a matter of courtesy, especially with new shooters, I like to remind the shooter before each string.  We want it to be a measurement of shooting skill and not how good is their memory under stress.

21 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Was that coaching? Sounded like the RO was telling shooter which hand before the string.  Can RO coach between strings or only read WSB prior to walk trough?

Coaching occurs between the buzzer and the final shot. You can remind your buddies of everything you like before the start.

Yelling “weak hand!” during the reload is coaching.

Telling them not forget it as they make ready is not.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

22 hours ago, broadside72 said:

BTW, I hate those kind of classifiers. 

Most people do, and for two reasons:

1) They fail at practicing singlehanded shooting.

2) They forget to switch hands. This one is easier to fix. Just because it’s six-reload-six doesn’t mean you shouldn’t rehearse it 10 times just like you do with a 32-round field course. 

A. Air gun it a bunch.

B. Go dryfire it in the safe area nearby a dozen times.

C. Do the whole sequence twice at “make ready” with an empty gun.

You’ll be amazed how much better you shoot it. Most guys greatly underestimate how much visualization helps on stages that are short and have no movement.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Coaching occurs between the buzzer and the final shot. You can remind your buddies of everything you like before the start.

Yelling “weak hand!” during the reload is coaching.

Telling them not forget it as they make ready is not.

Thanks. I was not sure if it was for the entire stage or between strings

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Most people do, and for two reasons:

1) They fail at practicing singlehanded shooting.

2) They forget to switch hands. This one is easier to fix. Just because it’s six-reload-six doesn’t mean you shouldn’t rehearse it 10 times just like you do with a 32-round field course. 

A. Air gun it a bunch.

B. Go dryfire it in the safe area nearby a dozen times.

C. Do the whole sequence twice at “make ready” with an empty gun.

You’ll be amazed how much better you shoot it. Most guys greatly underestimate how much visualization helps on stages that are short and have no movement.

1) I practice one handed, just not enough. When I do, more often than not, its for my carry gun, not my match gun. While fundamentals are the same, size and weight and recoil profile make a big difference between those two guns. I wish I had more time and money to practice with more of my firearms regularly. 

2) I have only had the "not switching" issue once but that was a mental failure after the first string where I stood up and the chair was hanging off my belt banging into my legs and the next string I spent too much thinking about the damn chair when standing up, forgetting to switch

I have been visualizing a lot more lately using those techniques. It helps. My issue is not slowing down on these standard exercises, or slowing down way too much. Having a hard time finding that happy medium to keep HF where I need it to progress.