Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO mag weights for Shadow 2

tbarker13

I checked my notes and apparently I can't keep things straight. It is the opposite. Henning extension with mecgar tube and Grams follower is lighter than the same setup with a CZC extension by 0.1 oz, 3.8 oz vs 3.9. Sorry for confusion.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:17 PM, Doc1 said:

With milling of the slide and weight distribution does it affect performance.

I took about an Ounce from the front of the slide and added 2oz on the back of the slide (in the form of the optic). I personally like this weight distribution much better. I cannot perceive any difference in recoil characteristics or reliability. I would need to shoot a unmodified slide next to my modded slide to make a judgement call on that. 

Weight of a mag with the Henning basepad w/ Grahams guts.

Added the new Cajun plastic guide rod and dropped some more total weight. I could get some LOK lightweight grips and ditch the shroud on the dot if I wanted to shave off some more.1ca0563619f97cc1c05806e47d6b6124.jpg63db2c2740dfae1386452711fe8d183d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just got my CZC mag and basepad and compared it to my Mecgar with Henning basepad.

CZ mag with CZ Custom basepad = 92 grams

Mec gar mag with Henning basepad = 104 grams

Still waiting on my lightweight Lok grips to see where these changes put me.

So, I was able to get  under weight without removing the protective cover from the Deltapoint Pro.

Configuration:

Deltapoint Pro.

Slide milled by Cajun Gun Works.

Lok lightweight palm swell grips

Lok mag release button.

Cajun Gunworks polymer guide rod

Mecgar mags with Henning basepads

Thin safety

Comes in at 1265 grams or 44.62 ounces.

I can drop to 1255 grams or 44.2 ounces with CZ 18 rounders with their extended baseplates.

s2 w mecgar.jpg

Does CGW poly rod extend all the way to a hole in the slide? CZC polymer rod is slightly shorter, doesn't see to have function issues but I wonder if it can induce a malfunction under some circumstances.

I am waiting on custom fat lightweight lok grips to see where this leaves me. Also got that slide stop pin so I am nearly certain I'll make the weight. Question is if margins are big enough to account for possible scale to scale variability.

Does CGW poly rod extend all the way to a hole in the slide? CZC polymer rod is slightly shorter, doesn't see to have function issues but I wonder if it can induce a malfunction under some circumstances.

I am waiting on custom fat lightweight lok grips to see where this leaves me. Also got that slide stop pin so I am nearly certain I'll make the weight. Question is if margins are big enough to account for possible scale to scale variability.

I'll post a side by side of the CGW poly and the stock guide rod in the morning.

I think most Single Stack guys try to stay about 0.5oz under the weight limit. Probably a safe bet for CO too. If you're 44.5 or lighter you're prob good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, YVK said:

Cajun now as a polymer guide rod for the Shadow 2. It's slightly longer. Never had any function issues with the shorter guide rod. But since I'm always looking for new ways to spend money on guns and accessories, I went ahead got the CGW version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 1:35 AM, threat said:

Getting an S2 to make weight with a DPP is frustrating.  Here are the steps I had to take.

1. Mill Optic into gun as low as possible
  2. Mill out dustcover
  3. Mill top lightening cut
  4. Remove optic shroud (saves .4oz)
  5. Plastic grips (3d printed) HUGE weights savings here
  6. TTI 140mm basepads with grams spring and follower
  7. Thin Safety

Result was 44.5oz IIRC

What plastic grips are you talking about? You mean the G10 by Lok?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:50 AM, shakin_bakin said:

What plastic grips are you talking about? You mean the G10 by Lok?

They are prototype 3D printed parts of my own design. They should be public about a month from now. They will be sold under the "waypoint shooting" brand.

Love seeing all these people making weight without lightening cuts done.  Just got a Shadow 2 and am sending it off to get milled and lightened so I am less worried about making weight.  

However, I am using TTI and standard g10 no palmswell so we'll see when I get it all back.

Glad everyone here stopped by to post pictures of their gun that isn't having a problem, very helpful for the OP who isn't able to go back in time and mill the slide deeper the first time around.

To answer your question I have both the Henning and the Taran +4 basepads for the Mecgar AFC 17rd mags and the Henning is lighter by about 8 grams, so I don't think you're gonna cut weight that way.

Unfortunately you picked one of the heftiest optics available, so that's not doing you any favors. My recommendation is drill some holes through the parts of your Lok grips that you don't interact with much to trim down a few grams and get under. If you still have the front post on go ahead and remove that too - you can keep the bushing set in place with a slave pin. If you're still not at weight then you should consider sending the slide off again to get milled for windows and then you'll have no problem making it. 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, shakin_bakin said:

Seems pretty cool! Whats the weight going to be?

Don't fully know yet because the parts aren't made but expect them to be half the weight of the OEM aluminum grips!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 9:29 PM, tbarker13 said:

So, I was able to get  under weight without removing the protective cover from the Deltapoint Pro.

Configuration:

Deltapoint Pro.

Slide milled by Cajun Gun Works.

Lok lightweight palm swell grips

Lok mag release button.

Cajun Gunworks polymer guide rod

Mecgar mags with Henning basepads

Thin safety

Comes in at 1265 grams or 44.62 ounces.

I can drop to 1255 grams or 44.2 ounces with CZ 18 rounders with their extended baseplates.

s2 w mecgar.jpg

any idea what the weight difference is between the lok safety and the original? 

Im afraid I won't get to use extended until I can get it sent out for additional lightening.  
xNVRm8f.jpg

n36Bzxc.jpg
this one has the plastic guide rod and lok s2 grips.  

Edited by nickforney

But you're only getting 20 in? 

My TTI +4's are coming in at 3.87 on one scale and 3.90 on another. I think I'd like to chase 0.50 elsewhere for the extra two rounds, I think. 

On another note,  I did a little searching and came up empty. Has anyone started a list of common part weights? Does anyone think that would be helpful? 

41 minutes ago, reverse_edge said:

But you're only getting 20 in? 

My TTI +4's are coming in at 3.87 on one scale and 3.90 on another. I think I'd like to chase 0.50 elsewhere for the extra two rounds, I think. 

On another note,  I did a little searching and came up empty. Has anyone started a list of common part weights? Does anyone think that would be helpful? 

No, with the CZC follower and spring I’m getting 23 in. I had to take half a coil off but it feeds reliably so far.

I have started a list of weights for items for comparison. (Just puts it all in one spot for people and seconds the weights others have reported) 

LOK safety = 1 gram

factory safety = 4 grams

Acetal guide rod = 4 grams

factory guide rod = 19 grams

LOK ultra light grips in palm swell bogies = 35 grams

factlory grips = 62 grams

Factory 17 round magazine no modification = 90 grams

18 round cz magazine w/ CZC +2 base pad and springs (able to get 22 rounds with no issues) = 98 grams