Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO mag weights for Shadow 2

tbarker13

So I'm having some weight issues. I have a S2 that just came back from CGW. Using their new polymer guide rod, a Deltapoint Pro, thin safeties and 17-round mecgars with Henning pasepads, I'm at 1,300 grams o 45.85 ounces.

I can switch to Lok's lightweight palmswell grips to save 22 grams. That would bring me to 1,278 grams or 45.08 ounces.

I can probably get under weight if I remove the front sight - but not enough to really feel comfortable.

(I'm trying to avoid removing the DP pro's metal cover.)

I wonder if anyone has done any weight comparisons on mag/basepad combos. What's the lightest option, still using aluminum basepads?

The 17-round mecgars with Hennings are 106 grams.

Getting an S2 to make weight with a DPP is frustrating.  Here are the steps I had to take.

1. Mill Optic into gun as low as possible
  2. Mill out dustcover
  3. Mill top lightening cut
  4. Remove optic shroud (saves .4oz)
  5. Plastic grips (3d printed) HUGE weights savings here
  6. TTI 140mm basepads with grams spring and follower
  7. Thin Safety

Result was 44.5oz IIRC

Not what you wanna hear, but CZ 18round mags and +2 basepads will be about a half oz lighter than the MG17+Henning pads. If I had known this earlier, I would have gone this route. And still might to be honest.

but it’s surely doable if you’re willing to make it work. I designed this optic cut a bit differently, as deep as I was able to go without breaking through the FP channel. CGW internals and RRK trigger. NO additional slide cuts or milling anywhere.

A9E8C761-8E0F-4A8C-A691-711B6A0D6B45.jpeg

Edited by Red_Dot

3 minutes ago, Red_Dot said:

Not what you wanna hear, but CZ 18round mags and +2 basepads will be about a half oz lighter than the MG17+Henning pads. If I had known this earlier, I would have gone this route. And still might to be honest.

Thanks. I'll check out that combination.

8 hours ago, threat said:

Remove optic shroud (saves .4oz)

What size but did you use?  Is it an odd size, because I've tried everything I can get my hands on and they're either too big or too small.

I had CZC do my slide milling. This is with a Henning +5/6 basepads with Grahams follower. The front sight is removed. I've got a Cajun plastic guide rod on the way that should knock a bit more off.107482ff45b13803adf822d333085d14.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, clw42 said:

What size but did you use?  Is it an odd size, because I've tried everything I can get my hands on and they're either too big or too small.

The wrench is in the box that your Deltapoint Pro came in.

I had CZC do my slide milling. This is with a Henning +5/6 basepads with Grahams follower. The front sight is removed. I've got a Cajun plastic guide rod on the way that should knock a bit more off.107482ff45b13803adf822d333085d14.jpg

Hope your scale and the match scale agree. 0.03 oz. isn’t much of an error to miss weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely lose the shroud on the DPP and use the lightweight Loki palm swells for Shadow 2 and the lightweight grip screws that come with them. That should get you just under 45oz. 

Hope your scale and the match scale agree. 0.03 oz. isn’t much of an error to miss weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which is why I have a poly guide rod on the way to replace the stainless one.

11 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

but it’s surely doable if you’re willing to make it work. I designed this optic cut a bit differently, as deep as I was able to go without breaking through the FP channel. CGW internals and RRK trigger. NO additional slide cuts or milling anywhere.

A9E8C761-8E0F-4A8C-A691-711B6A0D6B45.jpeg

Where is your slide stop?

On 12/3/2018 at 9:40 PM, Red_Dot said:

CZechmate slide stop pin

I've hard time following all CO new rules. I presume it is CO legal because small parts change is OK now?

To the point of the original discussion, it seems to me that the CZC extension is slightly lighter than Henning. I don't have a TTI one.

My Shadow 2 rod + mag, with a DPP directly milled into it by Primary, with several slide lightening cuts, plastic guide rod, and fat Lok grips (0.6 oz) is currently at 45.3 oz. I am a bit reluctant to remove the shroud. Next step likely the scales, I need volume to my grips, flat Lok or Henning grips not enough. May have to have dust cover milled out.

8 hours ago, YVK said:

I've hard time following all CO new rules. I presume it is CO legal because small parts change is OK now?

To the point of the original discussion, it seems to me that the CZC extension is slightly lighter than Henning. I don't have a TTI one.

My Shadow 2 rod + mag, with a DPP directly milled into it by Primary, with several slide lightening cuts, plastic guide rod, and fat Lok grips (0.6 oz) is currently at 45.3 oz. I am a bit reluctant to remove the shroud. Next step likely the scales, I need volume to my grips, flat Lok or Henning grips not enough. May have to have dust cover milled out.

Have you looked at Lok's lightweight palm swell option? I have a set on order right now, along with the CZC baseplate/mag combo. Will see what those two changes do for my overall weight. I'll repost when I get these pieces in.  

15 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Have you looked at Lok's lightweight palm swell option? 

6 hours ago, robchavous said:

They hide these under the specialty section of the website.

https://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/custom-grips/lightweight-cz-shadow-2-palm-swell-g10/

I didn't know those existed, thanks to both of you. I am not a big fan of a palm swell design, I like a uniform thickness. But I wonder if I could talk them into making a light weight version of what I have now. 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, YVK said:

It’s an OEM part replacing the stock slide stop. In my interpretation of the rules it’s good to go. I’ve not gotten challenged on it and if I do I believe I have a good case.

What information from here makes you think the CZC is lighter than Henning? If you mean the CZ 18 round tubes and a +2 basepad you’re looking at a whole new set of mags as opposed to just a CZC +4 basepad

Edited by Red_Dot

I figured that was the case. I ordered a couple of those pins on Friday, CZ USA had them in stock. Funny, they weren't in stock the day before.

When weighing my own gun with a mecgar mag + CZC extension vs mecgar mag plus Henning extension, the former was lighter.

On Monday, December 03, 2018 at 1:35 AM, threat said:

Getting an S2 to make weight with a DPP is frustrating.  Here are the steps I had to take.

1. Mill Optic into gun as low as possible
  2. Mill out dustcover
  3. Mill top lightening cut
  4. Remove optic shroud (saves .4oz)
  5. Plastic grips (3d printed) HUGE weights savings here
  6. TTI 140mm basepads with grams spring and follower
  7. Thin Safety

Result was 44.5oz IIRC

With milling of the slide and weight distribution does it affect performance.