Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone get 20 reloadable from a G35 mag

72stick

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

I got 20 reloadable with a Dawson and their replacement spring. Had to sit a bit to take a set.

I have the Dawson and Taylor Freelance base pads. The mags will take 20 but are too tight to feed the first round. I can only get 19 reloadable after letting them sit loaded overnight. What else do you guys do to free up that 20th round?

No way in any of my mags. I can't even get 20 into the mags with Dawson and Arrendondo extensions. I can fit 20 in with TTI extensions, but then very hard to seat. I'll do that if I want to start with 21 in the gun, but would never try reloading to it. Also TTI extensions don't always fit the gauge, seems to depend on what mag body you use so be sure to check that.

11 minutes ago, 72stick said:

All I really need is one mag that functions with 20 to start with, so I'll have 20+1. I can reload to the 19 round mags. Reloading to 20 would be better, but I can live with only 19 if I could get one to function with 20.

As I mentioned, I can do that with all my TTI base pads. Have not had any issues with starting with 21 using them. 

I've never seen or tried the MBX base pad, but I'm going to call BS on 21 reloadable with factory follower. I don't see how that's possible. I can get 23 reloadable in 9mm with a TTI base pad and that same one still isn't reloadable to 20 in .40. If the MBX can fit 21 .40 then it should be able to hold 24 for 9mm. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong and then might pick one up if that claim is legit. 

Only thing I can think of that might get another round into the mag with the MBX extension would be how the spring collapses in on itself.

I called Dawson Precision and ask how to get the gun to run with 20 in the mag using their extension. The tech said try cutting half a coil off one spring and see if that gets you running. Before I tried that I pulled all the mags apart with the Dawson extensions and switched extensions and springs around till it seemed easier to load 20. I found one combo I could get the 20th round into easier, but it was still really tight in the gun. I don't think it would cycle like that. I took the one mag spring combo that felt the best and cut half a coil off. That made it a little better, but I still wasn't happy. I removed the slide and polished the lug that has to slide over the next round as the gun cycles and then strips the round off the top of the mag. Between switching the springs around, cutting half a coil off on the best one of the bunch and polishing the lug in the slide, I think it will cycle with 20 in that one mag. I doubt it will ever be a 20 reloadable mag. My weather sux right now, so I can't really test it, but I can cycle the gun by hand with a dummy in the chamber and 20 dummy rounds in one mag

Edited by 72stick

If you can seat the mag into gun just by pressing hard, and don't have to slam on it to seat, then it should cycle when fired. At least with major ammo; I've never tried minor loads in mine. But that's how mine feels when I seat it on closed slide with 20 in it and it cycles fine. 

19 hours ago, mmlook said:

you should be able to get 20 reloadable from a +5 TTI extension 

might need a small break-in period of the spring, and you need to make sure the bullets are loose/stacked wrong 

I have 3 TTI extensions but one of the 3 dont fit the mag gauge

47 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

If you can seat the mag into gun just by pressing hard, and don't have to slam on it to seat, then it should cycle when fired. At least with major ammo; I've never tried minor loads in mine. But that's how mine feels when I seat it on closed slide with 20 in it and it cycles fine. 

Yeah, I set it up to run minor in CO. I had the G22 set up as an open gun years ago. I pulled the KKM barrel/comp and magwell off and put the original G22 barrel back in to make it fit CO division. I'd rather have a G17 for CO, but this is what I have. I've been shooting limited and 3gun for the last 4 or 5 years with 2011s.  I wantta mix it up a little and try CO with this G22 to see if I like.

57 minutes ago, 72stick said:

Yeah, I set it up to run minor in CO. I had the G22 set up as an open gun years ago. I pulled the KKM barrel/comp and magwell off and put the original G22 barrel back in to make it fit CO division. I'd rather have a G17 for CO, but this is what I have. I've been shooting limited and 3gun for the last 4 or 5 years with 2011s.  I wantta mix it up a little and try CO with this G22 to see if I like.

Hopefully it'll cycle with minor ammo.  If not, in the rare instance where you want to start fully loaded at 21 you could use 1 major round as the first round in the gun just to cycle the slide while the mag is full.  Then use minor for everything in the mag.

1 hour ago, rustychev said:

I have 3 TTI extensions but one of the 3 dont fit the mag gauge

I've tested a bunch of TTI extensions on various G22 mag bodies in the mag gauge.  From all my testing, the TTI extensions will consistently gauge with older mag bodies, and consistently not fit the gauge with new mag bodies.  You can tell the difference based on the mag release cutouts, older ones are like the one on the left.  My TTI extensions are a few years old though, maybe they've fixed this issue since I got mine.  My problem is that I don't have very many of the older mag bodies for when my current ones get too beat up...

ihgpw0C.jpg

2 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Hopefully it'll cycle with minor ammo.  If not, in the rare instance where you want to start fully loaded at 21 you could use 1 major round as the first round in the gun just to cycle the slide while the mag is full.  Then use minor for everything in the mag.

I've tested a bunch of TTI extensions on various G22 mag bodies in the mag gauge.  From all my testing, the TTI extensions will consistently gauge with older mag bodies, and consistently not fit the gauge with new mag bodies.  You can tell the difference based on the mag release cutouts, older ones are like the one on the left.  My TTI extensions are a few years old though, maybe they've fixed this issue since I got mine.  My problem is that I don't have very many of the older mag bodies for when my current ones get too beat up...

ihgpw0C.jpg

Wow! Now that's a cool idea. Keep one stock mag gassed up with major ammo for the Barny round and then gas up the other mags with minor ammo. Hopefully, I won't need too, but it's kinda cool. 

If you can load 20,   run an undersize die on your last station and it should give you enough extra room to seat. those couple 1000'ths add up over 20 rounds... 
Although when would u ever need to reload 20 rounds ? Doesnt USPSA still have a 32 round max stage count ? I mean if u are starting with 21 rounds, and need to reload another 20 rounds,, ur stage is probably shot. Granted I havent followed the game in a while, so maybe things have changed. Just curious.

Edited by Joe4d