Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold vs Precision Delta

beechnutbob

What about COAL and bullet profile?  (i.e. is the Precision Delta bullet longer than the Montana Gold bullet?)  Does the Precision Delta bullet sit deeper into the case, reducing powder capacity?  If powder capacity is decreased, it wouldn't have to be a whole lot to increase velocity with the same COAL.

With N320 and 124gr MG JHP, a difference in OAL of .02 was about the same as the difference on .1gr of powder in terms of velocity in a test I conducted  across a range of 0.100 for OAL.

I have not tested other bullets and powders across that wide a range, but with faster burning powders at 9mm minor velocities, that has been a reliable predictor for other powders and bullets.

As to the specific question, I have data for the MG 124gr JHP vs the PD 124gr JHP with only two powders.   With N320, the PD was about 30 feet/sec faster.  With Titegroup, it was 10.

Softer bullets obturate better and seal in more gas.  It makes sense to me that PD would be faster than MG, with MG being a harder bullet.

11 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Softer bullets obturate better and seal in more gas. 

Mmhm. ;)
PD's stepped base may also aid in obturation. 

The differences in jacket can play a part as well.  There is more copper (less alloy) in a PD jacket.  While this material is more expensive, and doesn't "shine" like a higher alloy jacket, we believe it is the right choice for sporting projectiles. 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

Mmhm. ;)
PD's stepped base may also aid in obturation. 

The differences in jacket can play a part as well.  There is more copper (less alloy) in a PD jacket.  While this material is more expensive, and doesn't "shine" like a higher alloy jacket, we believe it is the right choice for sporting projectiles. 

I was thinking of softer jacket but said softer bullet.   The MG jacket is indeed harder metal. 

In my 2 open supers , one a govt slide and the other a shorty, I tried PD, MG, & Zero HP's with different powders and found a negligible velocity difference with the Zero & PD and MG slightly slower with all powders used (A#7, 3N38, Autocomp, & Sil). The recoil impulse was also consistent with each bullet within a specific powder. As far as accuracy they were again all equal. I encountered the same results in my M&P9 with a KKM barrel within the powder range for that gun.

I didnt notice you mentioning what handgun your shooting so I will round off my experience and feelings on the bullet discussion in a handgun. A 30-40 fps difference between a bullet brand is a .1-.2 grain difference within most pistol powder and its not gonna effect feel or cost enough to fixate on it. Also found that higher end barrels (Schuemann, KKM, Bar-Sto etc) tend to perform with most bullets pretty consistently. So bullet choice becomes less of a concern with reputable offerings. Some brand  OEM production barrels do have the potential to be more picky with projectile choice so it could however be a concern with "stock" guns. But remember in the handgun practical world a 1/4-1/2 difference in group size say at 20 yards doesn't mean much so dont get to caught up in that. Be more concerned with powder for the desired velocity and how it correlates to recoil impulse your looking for moreover than the bullet, thats gonna greatly improve your shooting vs which bullet shoots a 1/2 tighter group etc. Then the cost of said bullet, the less you spend means the more you can buy and the more you will shoot, again improving your ability. So in conclusion, by all means test bullets and try a few different powders, determine if any one bullet out shoots another by considerable margin in your gun. If they all run close then choose the more cost effective bullet and focus on what powder makes it feel best.