Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
GARD72977

After an absence ho do you get motivated

Been out of uspsa about a year. To get motivated I bough a  Glock to try Limited. I have a class coming up in April.

Just looking for any tips

YouTube. If I’m feeling lazy and want to skip dryfire, I’ll watch some GMs I follow on YouTube and it gets me off the couch and into the dojo every time. 

Usually, when I take some time off, I'm DYING (highly motivated)

to get back into shooting.

Like right now - been off two years or so, and can't wait to get

going again.     :) 

I have been shooting a lot of 50yd 22lr offhand and air gun silhouette. I miss shooting the pistol. I'm going to make a match Saturday. The errors I make give me some direction for my dryfire and training. Going to start there I guess

Don’t get motivated. Get disciplined. Make a plan, commit to it, and stick to it even when you’re unmotivated and don’t want to practice. Motivation fades over time, and some of the best practice sessions sometimes happen when you don’t really feel like practicing but do it anyway. 

Of course, this is probably why I’m still C class- I get motivated,  come up with a plan, and stick to it for a while. Then I get busy with other stuff and fail to stick to my training plan. 

Motivation doesn't lead to action. Other way around. Action leads to motivation. Best thing to do is like mentioned above. Make a plan, then follow it. Load up some mags and start shooting. Start dry firing. You'll start seeing improvement quickly. Then the motivation will kick in which will lead to yep, more action. Like a diet, exercise plan or anything. Just jump in with both feet and and get to it. Waiting to be motivated will turn into a long wait. 

You can always modify your plan after you see what you need to work on but the main thing is get to it. 

It’s like when someone asks “How do you make practice more fun?” The correct answer is that you don’t. You decide to do it regardless of whether it’s fun or not because you know that it will benefit you and you have decided to do it in advance.