Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After an absence ho do you get motivated

GARD72977

Don’t get motivated. Get disciplined. Make a plan, commit to it, and stick to it even when you’re unmotivated and don’t want to practice. Motivation fades over time, and some of the best practice sessions sometimes happen when you don’t really feel like practicing but do it anyway. 

Of course, this is probably why I’m still C class- I get motivated,  come up with a plan, and stick to it for a while. Then I get busy with other stuff and fail to stick to my training plan. 

Motivation doesn't lead to action. Other way around. Action leads to motivation. Best thing to do is like mentioned above. Make a plan, then follow it. Load up some mags and start shooting. Start dry firing. You'll start seeing improvement quickly. Then the motivation will kick in which will lead to yep, more action. Like a diet, exercise plan or anything. Just jump in with both feet and and get to it. Waiting to be motivated will turn into a long wait. 

You can always modify your plan after you see what you need to work on but the main thing is get to it. 

It’s like when someone asks “How do you make practice more fun?” The correct answer is that you don’t. You decide to do it regardless of whether it’s fun or not because you know that it will benefit you and you have decided to do it in advance. 

• 8 months later...

DKorn gave you some great advise.  All I can add is to try and find someone to practice with.

I have a shooting buddy and we motivate each other.  We make a plan and stick to it, usually

including lunch and a discussion of what we did, etc.  

• 1 month later...

I’m fighting the fear of injury or “reinjurying” my wrist and elbow from a nasty case of shooters elbow. I will say that it does pay to have good friends to shoot with. They often make it fun, but for practice at home that’s pretty much solely on you to have your own accountability. Either you want to shoot or practice or you don’t in that case. Watching YouTube isn’t the solution haha 

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2018 at 10:20 AM, DKorn said:

It’s like when someone asks “How do you make practice more fun?” The correct answer is that you don’t. You decide to do it regardless of whether it’s fun or not because you know that it will benefit you and you have decided to do it in advance. 

Hmmm. I've always enjoyed practice, but I enjoy getting better.

for the OP..... not sure if one can *force* oneself to be motivated, but probably watching some competition video would be a good place to start.

parttimeredneck makes a great point too, that seeing improvement can be very motivating. some folks find it helps to keep a training journal to document the improvement.

For me, breaks from shooting aren’t planned. They come about “naturally” due to work or family commitments. That being the case, the motivation comes about naturally too. I love to shoot and when the opportunity to get into it for a period of time comes about, I’m motivated to make the most of it since I don’t know how long till the next break. 

• 3 months later...

1. A quality class with a top level nationally ranked shooter, such as; Ben Stoeger, JJ Racaza, Steve Anderson, and many others, can show you where you need work and give you the tools you need to take home and develop a quality training plan so you won't be spinning your wheels.
2. Get linked up with a shooting buddy that shares your interest and you can both help keep each other motivated and share some training time.
3. Join a range where you can go on a regular basis to train.  You will likely have some skin in the game by paying a membership fee, so that should also give you some motivation to get your moneys worth each year.
4. Make a plan for the year, or break it down into two 6 month periods.  The annual plan should Identify what you want to accomplish for the year and what matches, training, and classes if any, that you want to shoot.  Even if the goal for the year is just to shoot everything you list in your annual plan, that's a good start.   Include local club level matches in your annual shooting plan, also identify one or more major matches to shoot that will give you some higher level goals to work for.  Your plan can also identify periods during the year for some downtime if you need this to prevent burnout.
5. Hopefully, the above suggestions will help light a fire in your belly and get you on a regular and sustainable track.  Your job is to keep the fire burning!
6. Shooting requires work if you are serious about improving.  If you're not serious about improving, don't do any of these things.  Some folks just like to go shoot when it fits their schedule and lifestyle, and that's OK too.  Just don't expect to see real improvement without working for it.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been through a few breaks from weekly or twice-weekly matches and have experimented with the correlation between almost no dry fire before returning, versus at least a week of 20 to 30 minutes per day.

No surprise, there’s a huge difference.

My motivation to get back out there is nothing more than I really enjoy it.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 4 months later...