Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

End of season 'bath'

Bench

I did a total take down of my 92FS and was surprised at all the compacted gunk way down deep (it's been a long season). What's a good  solvent  that can be used to soak the slide etc. to get into all those obscure spots? Anything other than buying a gallon of Hoppe's #9?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Usually soak for a couple of hours and then hit the tight spots with an old toothbrush.  Only bother with this when the gun is totally disassembled,  maybe a couple of times a year.

LOL, by the amount of compacted crud way down deep I guess I'd better up my complete tear down cleaning schedule from once a year😜

2 hours ago, EEH said:

Simple green & water

WOW, that's is a lot "healthier" than some of the other cleaners available. Thanks. How long do you have to soak for the Simple Green to get working?

Edited by Bench

On 11/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, Bench said:

I did a total take down of my 92FS and was surprised at all the compacted gunk way down deep (it's been a long season). What's a good  solvent  that can be used to soak the slide etc. to get into all those obscure spots? Anything other than buying a gallon of Hoppe's #9?

Thanks.

$16 for a gallon of acetone at home depot.

I use it when cleaning every single drop of oil and gunk off of a gun before cerakoting because it’s what Cerakote recommends. (Brake cleaner is roughly 90% acetone fyi)

I’ve since used an acetone soak to clean guns - just for deep detail cleanings. Works great, cheap. Dump the parts in for 15-30 minutes after cleaning it as best you can manually.

Warning: it’ll destroy the fiber in your front sight, but you should have spare material onhand for that, and replace it 1 or 2 times a year anyway.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

$16 for a gallon of acetone at home depot.

I use it when cleaning every single drop of oil and gunk off of a gun before cerakoting because it’s what Cerakote recommends. (Brake cleaner is roughly 90% acetone fyi)

I’ve since used an acetone soak to clean guns - just for deep detail cleanings. Works great, cheap. Dump the parts in for 15-30 minutes after cleaning it as best you can manually.

Warning: it’ll destroy the fiber in your front sight, but you should have spare material onhand for that, and replace it 1 or 2 times a year anyway.

AH-GEES...first I find out that I should be deep cleaning my gun more than once a year and now you're telling me I need to change out fiber 2x every year...when will this ever stop😆.

Are you still doing Cerakote?

35 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Beech yep. But I’m no FFL. So no frames or complete rifles unless you bring ‘em to me. I don’t do a lot of it. 

Did both of my current comp guns though:

Eventually looking to have the M&P slide only Cerakoted gray.

13 hours ago, kipdynamite said:

A sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight is relatively inexpensive.

Looks like many have gone for small ultrasonic cleaners. Apparently, they get good cleaning results without using anything too smelly ( ... which could good or bad, depending on preferences and circumstances ...  😁 )

10 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Brakleen & WD-40 is what the pros use. 🤣

Just read the MSDS...the 'smoking lamp' will need to be OUT when this gets used!!! Sounds like a great propellant for top billing in the Darwin Award competition.😵

Edited by Bench

On 11/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, Bench said:

I did a total take down of my 92FS and was surprised at all the compacted gunk way down deep (it's been a long season).

I just make it a point not to look there. 

I need to clean around the extractors on my Tanfo's now and then, but otherwise everything seems fine just cleaning & lubing the top end per the manuals. 

Exception: If I'm bored to tears over a long winter or if I've got things torn down for some other reason. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I just make it a point not to look there.

Exception: If I'm bored to tears over a long winter or if I've got things torn down for some other reason. 

LOL, since that's what I had done...ie. not looking there...but the gun started having issues so I had to dig down and glad I did since the firing pin wouldn't come out without some determined effort on my part.

I've had good results hosing out the actions and slides of my guns with Birchwood Casey's "Gun Scrubber".  I don't detail strip the frames but the amount of crud it washes out is amazing.   The current version is "Synthetic Safe" (i.e. ok for polymer components).  It also does and excellent job of stripping all the lube so you want to relube after cleaning.

It isn't particularly toxic but it is flammable.  Use it outside and with good ventilation. 

Edited by SteelCityShooter

9 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

It also does and excellent job of stripping all the lube so you want to relube

Relubing was a great lesson for me on this first total total take down. Thanks.

dont soak,  pour some in a bowl, toss in the small parts, frame and slide just gets  washed out with a paint brush. This is for all steel guns,, no idea how it would react with plastic/polymers