Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 - Why did SIG change their barrel from Stainless to Black

Sigarmsp226

I just purchased my second P320 X5, my first one I purchased right after they were released, and I noticed that the new X5 that I just recently purchased has a black barrel in it rather than a stainless one like my earlier version....Anyone know why SIG made a barrel change on the X5 and when they made the change?  Thanks Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

From my previous research it happened the middle of last year... Reason given was that the stainless barrels were showing wear scratches, etc, and that black finish retained lubrication better.... Who knows - seems that the new barrels are probably more cost effective to produce. 

Edited by aalbert

On 11/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, Jeff_Alan said:

Sig said the stainless was wearing bad. Mine was built in June or July 2017 and was told that was one of the 1st runs with black barrel

I can't find where Sig said that, but for sure the stainless barrel does show wear more and differently than the black.  Then again, it's not nearly comparable to what happens on the hood of a 1911.

17 hours ago, 021411 said:

I have an X5 match target Bar-Sto barrel and it shows a metric crap ton of wear marks and scratches. I don't care about it but just worth noting if you want stainless.

I installed a barsto, it was noticeably scratched just from racking the slide while fitting it. 

• 4 weeks later...