Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Barrel extension modification

Anyone heard of this or have anymore details, other than the obvious:

" explained the feeding trouble I had experienced earlier in the week and he patiently went over his modifications to the MPX, including rounding of the edges on the magazines and barrel extension. I remarked that I hadn’t had a malfunction yet and that it seemed OK.

He wished me luck and left the stage. Of course with these words spoken Murphy just couldn’t resist. Halfway through the stage, I suffered a major malfunction that required complete stripping off the magazine and some beating of the rifle to clear it.

I luckily was able to complete the rest of the stage in double the par time with a near the bottom finish. I limped through my last stage of the day gingerly shooting slower than normal in the hopes the malfunction wouldn’t appear again.

I had a big decision to make that night. Take Greg’s advice and dremel my nearly $2,000 gun without test firing it first at a major match or hope and pray another catastrophic malfunction doesn’t occur. I decided that no matter what I couldn’t risk more malfunctions and I quickly did the easy rounding of the steel feed lips to the magazine.

I pulled the MPX barrel off and saw exactly what Greg had been talking about. For whatever reason, there is more metal on the left side of the MPX barrel extension and it is common to have a malfunction on this side, especially with the hollow point ammunition I use. I followed Greg’s advice and felt where the rounds were catching on the brass lip and began to slowly round the edges off until the rounds feed buttery smooth. I reassembled the gun and hoped for the best the next day."

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/duel-in-the-desert-the-2018-uspsa-area-2-championship/recreation-leisure

For an additional charge I can relieve the feed ramp area and hone the gas port area as well. You may choose from the services requested from the drop down menu

ILWT appears to offer the service so you don't have to dremel your barrel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wrote that article lol.  Believe me it seemed freakier to do than it actually was in the end and totally fixed my problem.  A big part of my issue is that I'm using some pretty wide and rough hollow-points they give my shooting team which was really catching on that feedramp.  Here's a post to another person that was basically doing the same thing that has pics in it.  They did a much prettier job than I did on the fly the night before day two of the USPSA Area 2.  Hope this helps.  I see you're in Tucson, I'm up in Phoenix.  If you come out to Rio sometime I'd be happy to show you my setup.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Fixed-my-SIG-MPX-jamming-problem-UNDATED-FEB-20TH-BOTTOM/45-486639/

JF

Thanks for posting, I’m surprised no one has jumped on this yet, seems to be an issue, particularly on the Gen2,

I just finished mine today, mostly polish with a small amount of relief to the

sections just above the feed ramps:

AF51FA7D-3A90-4AF9-8201-FC510DEE0770.jpeg

FYI, my issue is not related to bullet profile, I’ve actually seen where the brass is catching on the edges right off the feedramp, about 3:30-4:00 o’clock area assuming the feedramp is 6:00 to 5:30. That is where I added a bit of relief and polish.

I will definitely look you up next time I’m in Rio, I’m planning on shooting the JP match in Feb...

Edited by pitvpr